PDA

View Full Version : Pouty Fiji Yellow Toadstool

Lance
06-02-2008, 12:24 AM
I have had a Fiji Yellow Toadstool for about 3 months. It has been growing well, but for the last several weeks it periodically goes into a snit and curls up for a few days. Then it opens up, with good polyp extension again. I read somewhere that they may do this from time to time, but the article didn't say why. My water params are good; all other corals are doing fine. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks, Lance

sharuq1
06-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Tagging along. I have one too, and it does this on a regular basis, but always comes back.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I have 2 and they both do this...daily...and randomly. Often, if they remain closed for more than an hour or two, they are shedding their outer layers. Perfectly normal behavior as far as I'm concerned.

WhoPoopWrasse
06-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I have one too but it never does this unless the lights go out and even then very rarely, hmmmmm

Lance
06-02-2008, 01:13 AM
I have 2 and they both do this...daily...and randomly. Often, if they remain closed for more than an hour or two, they are shedding their outer layers. Perfectly normal behavior as far as I'm concerned.

When curled up, it turns almost a pale green color and looks kinda waxy. But opens up again to its normal yellow. Is that what yours does?

WhoPoopWrasse
06-02-2008, 01:22 AM
no but it sounds like yours want to shed, they get waxy when this is happening. Sometimes they stay closed for days.

Skimmerking
06-02-2008, 02:04 AM
just for the record they will do that i had many leathers and if the current went the weird way it would get a attitude and curl up. that is the life of leathers, nothing to worry about reefer's

d33ps3a
06-02-2008, 02:08 AM
I have one too and I was told that to help with shedding its good to just hold it in front of whatever flow of water you have so as to blow and clean the sheddings off. It works for me. I do it once a week.

Keri
06-02-2008, 02:11 AM
When curled up, it turns almost a pale green color and looks kinda waxy. But opens up again to its normal yellow. Is that what yours does?

one of mine does often, the other does it rarely. *shrug* (the bigger one more often....and it grows faster)

Ephraim
06-02-2008, 02:21 AM
my yellow is the most moody coral i have ever owned. i stopped worrying about it long ago. It just likes to randomly sulk, randomly and frequently.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-02-2008, 02:40 AM
Seems the verdict is in....leathers are moody. No worries, lah :)