PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Long Nosed Butterfly

Captainhemo
06-01-2008, 06:45 AM
I see from searching through the past threads that a few of you were interested in purchasing a yellow long nosed butterfly.
Did any of you follow through and make the purchase ? If so, how has it worked out ? Have you had any major issues with the fish and would you still consider the fish somewhat Reef Safe ? I know every fish is different but just looking for general experiences, what he has eaten/hasn't eaten, do you regret the purchase, would you do so again etc etc.
Would appreciate any comments from anyone who keeps or has kept this fish.
Thanks

seanoman
06-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I just got one last week from J&L. I haven't noticed it pick at any corals yet. But, he also hasn't eaten any prepared foods yet either. I think he has picked at the nori sheet a little bit, but we have tried mysis, brine, cyclopeeze, and flake, but he wont eat anything. He reacts right away to the smell, but wont actually eat any food.

Other than that, gorgeous fish and I really hope he comes around and starts eating.

banditpowdercoat
06-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Im intereseted in how they act too. Wanted one since I started my tank

iansfishy
06-01-2008, 06:28 PM
mine started eating everything right away. I kept him in QT for six weeks and even then after being in my tank for about a week i seen some of his tail start to deteriorate (?) hes in Qt again and seems healthy and will eat everything but i see now some marks starting to appear on his face. (scales fading). I never seen him pick at any corals when he was in the big tank though. Great fish, however.

Captainhemo
06-01-2008, 06:43 PM
I just got one last week from J&L. I haven't noticed it pick at any corals yet. But, he also hasn't eaten any prepared foods yet either. I think he has picked at the nori sheet a little bit, but we have tried mysis, brine, cyclopeeze, and flake, but he wont eat anything. He reacts right away to the smell, but wont actually eat any food.

Other than that, gorgeous fish and I really hope he comes around and starts eating.

Not sure this will help but I have read that it sometimes helps if you take some of the prepared food (I'd try the mysis and cyclopeese) and pack it into a crack in some of the rockwork. This way he has to peck and dig for it which is more like his natural environment.

seanoman
06-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Actually when I fed the rest of the fish last night, I put in a cube of mysis and he actually started to eat some of it. I am not sure if it was by accident or not, but once he took one, he wouldn't stop.

I am so glad he finally started to eat, because it was a week from when we got him. :mrgreen:

Interior_Reef
06-02-2008, 11:36 PM
we have 2 from our last shipment from the phillipines, and they are eating mysis, seaweedsheets, and pounding the rocks as well. :) we were a little sketchy if they would eat at first, but it took a few days, now their pigs! :):)