PDA

View Full Version : New Here Have A 14 Gal Nano..

angelic
06-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Hi all I am new to this site and have a 14 Gal Nano that was started and doing pretty good. Had live rock, soft coral and some critters and fish. With bad advise because I had a sick clown I treated the tank and almost all my critters and LR, Corals suffered. I moved everything out right away except fish. Now everything seems to be bouncing back..cept the poor dead shrimps and a couple snails that moved onto the heavenly sea. I cried my heart out when I came home to the crashing nano.took me two days to think the sun would shine again.

So here I go again I have moved the Corals and a couple snails back and all seems to be going good. I am going to be re-adding LR. I was holding off because my patience with LR is not good.

When I first set it up I had some major issues with my live rock that really ticked me, everytime I cleaned the tank and glass it would move shift and just be down right hard to deal with. I just could not get the rock set up so it would stay put and had problems with the corals moving because they are small and attached to lumpy rock. So am hoping for advice on the best way to set things up?

I am really new to this reef business and want to set this up so it behaves *laugh*

I have a couple small pieces of pipe organ coral . Does/will this attach to anything? I also have a lovely blue fan coral that I need to attach to something cause it keep fallings over. Help?

I use crush coral and not sand.

I am in my 40's but my fish sense is about 1 year old if even that *s*

My boyfriend is in the fishy business but he has not dealt with reef aquariums. I am doing this a hobby so I don't expect him to figure anything out for me.

I won't get into his business details as I have found since living in Calgary that people bad mouth like crazy..because they think they are the only ones who can do it right.. I instead appreciate people who don't bad mouth to increase their way in the world...Keep that in mind business people!! I went to buy a car once at a small town dealership and while there the guy bad mouthed his competition I really liked the car but refused to buy from someone who bad mouthed anyone to make himself or his business look better. I thought wow do I really want to deal with someone like this? Decided I loved the car but wanted to know I was dealing with somone honest who actually had morals. Needless to say I went to his competition and bought a Chev *L* You know you don't have to be your competitions enemy!

I have been reading posts here I love this site and would love to be a part of the community and will appreciate everyones advice..I am an honest person and hope to find the same here

Hello to all ...

Thanks for listening.

mseepman
06-01-2008, 05:06 AM
Welcome to Canreef! Glad to have you on-board.

I have found that the group here on Canreef are indeed awesome to work with. If I had know about this site when I began, I would have had a lot less trouble than I did.

That being said, sorry to hear about your original experience with the tank crash. Nothing that anyone here wants to experience. As for your questions, here would be what I suggest:

Some people choose to either epoxy their rock together or to drill a central hole through some of them and run an acrylic rod through to hold it all together. You will also find that many people have build an under-carriage of PVC pipes and then attached their rock to that in order to have stability. I have a 70G tank and am just about to start a 16G nano and I plan on trying the acrylic rod.

As for your corals, pipe organ can be quite durable so it's usually a good choice for a novice. The blue fan you speak of sounds like a gorg and they are tough!! Require a lot of suspended food which then dirties your water and usually stresses your other corals. Probably not the best choice for a nano.

Your choice of crushed coral is something that has been debated many times. Live sand or bare-bottom tends to be what most people lean to for the different benefits they provide. Be cautious of your live-stock with the bottom you have as some fish will need more of a sandy bottom.

Hopefully I've been of some help. There are a lot of people on here with twice my knowledge and I'm sure they will chip in with some recommendations for you.

chevyjaxon
06-01-2008, 12:14 PM
welcome to canreef, all i have to say is never ever treat your main tank with any copper based medications inverts snails crabs shrimp etc will not tolerate copper based medications and will surely die. a nano tank is probably the hardest tank to care for due to its small size, any problems with water quality will have to be acted upon lightning quick a larger tank is much easier for a begginer. good luck!

CLINT
06-01-2008, 03:38 PM
If it was cooper that you used I wouldnt recomend using the same rock over since the copper would more than likely leach into it.I hope everything goes better for you the second time around and when a question comes up ask here since Im sure someone knows.Clint