PDA

View Full Version : FREE Glass in Calgary

bigmac
06-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Before you get too excited, the glass I have for free is tempered (cannot be cut as it will explode like the side glass in a car) therefore you must be able to work with the sizes I have.

Background - I used to work for a glass company (employee pricing on Starphire was great!) which installed a lot of storefront glass in malls. After installing some in Chinook Mall, a welder decided to weld above the glass and some very small (and I mean small) welding slag damaged the glass. I decided it would work great for deck railing but the boss (you know who I mean) put the kaibosh on that.

I've had it in my garage for a few years now so it's very dusty but should be usable for someone. This is regular clear glass (not starphire), 12mm (1/2") thick and tempered (as mentioned above). I have 5 pieces in total that are 12 feet long (this is not a typo) and varying heights (2 @45", 2@40" and 1@35"). These sizes are very close however I can verify the exact dimensions for you if you are interested.

Please note that this is pickup only (sorry no delivery) and each piece is extremely heavy due to the size. I just have no use for this glass anymore (other than possibly a big*** inwall setup but will need a much bigger house and will probably have to find a new wife). If no one is interested I will have to make arrangements to dispose of this into landfill (last resort).

kwirky
06-01-2008, 05:34 AM
damn. wheels are spinning in my head but I will never ever be able to convince the other half or the inlaws that we need a 12 foot aquarium in the house. shucks.

Zylumn
06-01-2008, 05:42 AM
So you would need 2 end pieces if glass, some bracing and you have a 1122 gal tank. WOW

Kevin

Brent F
06-01-2008, 06:07 AM
This reminds me of a similar situation. My grandfather was a glazer and did office towers. We had huge smoked glass windows in our cabin that were very slightly damaged by a welder.

Since we were building the cabin at the time we made the window openings the size of the glass.

UnderWorldAquatics
06-01-2008, 09:18 PM
couple questions for ya... Can you have the 2 pieces of 144"x45" laminated together forming a 1" thick sheet? are they too damaged? same question about the 2 144"x40" sheets...
I could pick up or arrange shipping, would abviously compensate you for your troubles...
Just realized you "used to work for" a glass shop...mabey Ill ask mitch at cameron management for laminating ideas...
Let me know!
Cheers!

bigmac
06-02-2008, 12:42 AM
Kwirky - If there were some way to convince my wife of the 12 foot, I would too.....hmmmm, is it worth being single again? I wonder.......nah.

Kevin - 1122 beats my 100 gallon hands down.

Underworld Aquatics -technically speaking anything is possible but if memory serves me there is no glass company in North America that can laminate glass that large. Again, I would have to measure the exact measurements as the pieces may vary by 1/4" or so. As far as the damage, it seemed extremely minor to me at the time; in fact I really had to look hard to find it. But when a new store goes in, the owners go over everything with a fine tooth comb. In saying that my definition of not too bad for a deck railing and a 12 foot display tank differs. To each their own therefore I would suggest coming by and taking a look first.

bigmac
06-02-2008, 03:11 AM
UPDATE
I have all 5 pieces spoken for at this point (two different people, you know who you are). If for some reason they aren't picked up I will send another update.
Thanks to all who responded so quickly!

bigmac
06-02-2008, 03:15 AM
Once they are picked up, I sure would love to get some updates (pictures) of the monster tank builds. I know I'm going to kick myself once I see water in them. Probably the stupidest move of all time, but oh well.

bigmac
06-02-2008, 03:46 AM
UPDATE #2
It appears as though the two 40" pieces are back up for grabs. Please pm me if you are interested.:smile:

bigmac
06-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Update #3
All five pieces are now spoken for. Thanks to all that inquired.

bigmac
07-01-2008, 06:29 PM
The two 45" pieces have not been picked up and are back up for grabs. Please note that these are free! See above posts for details.
First come, first served.

PM me for pick up details.

bigmac
07-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Anyone...Anyone...?
I'd really hate to waste these and dispose of them in the landfill but if no one wants them within the next week or so that's where they are going to end up.