PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia or other?!

Flash
05-31-2008, 04:21 AM
I have searched and searched but have not found anything regarding what's in my tank...

it's TINY... very tiny right now just big enough to see it, and it's a white/clear color... my first thought is aptasia... it's only on one little piece of my rock... but I've seen three little white.clear thingy's that look like aptasia.. but super small! lol! any help? I wish my camera was good enough to get a pic.

christyf5
05-31-2008, 05:54 AM
I've found the tiny tiny ones are usually hydroids, aiptasia grow very fast while hydroids seem to just appear and don't get much bigger than tiny. Hope that helps. Try to get a pic if you can so we can id it better. Keep an eye on it, either way you may have a problem on your hands. Hydroids while not as much of a PITA as aiptasia, can still take over a tank and make it look rather unsightly.

Oscar
06-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Are hydroids suseptible to Joe's Juice? I zapped what I think was aptasia yesterday, I thought I would err on the side of caution.

Flash
06-05-2008, 06:03 PM
i got a small peppermint shrimp.. so we'll see if that helps... the little aptasia like things are very tiny right now

RSM
06-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Let us know if the shrimp work because i have a few and want to get rid of them before i add fish and corals.

Flash
06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Shrimp is missing....there goes $20.00! lol!

I don't get it, it was there yesterday morning (8:00am) and when my roommate check at 12:00pm it was gone... no body parts, no shell no anything... there's nothing that it could have gotten sucked up in, and my damsel is sure not big enough to eat it...there's not a heck of a lot of tiny holes for it to get into...even when feeding it didn't come out....so I dunno... any idea's?! all water levels are fine... big mystery!

Won't be getting any more shrimp that's for sure

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/lyndsy_m/100_2166.jpg

Pier Pressure
06-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Well I bought a single peppermint shrimp and the same thing happened - just went missing one day - no body or shell or anything. I never saw it again and thought maybe my big cleaner shrimp (I have two) took it out as they were charging the poor little guy when I put it in.

I then added two peppermints and though they do not show their little faces too often I know they are in there because they come out sometimes for feeding.

TJSlayer
06-06-2008, 07:08 PM
He's probably still in there somewhere.....

I had one in my 10 and he "disappeared" for about 3 days and then was back.....

I have 5 in the 75 and most of the time can only spot 1-2 on the rare occassion do i see them all.

Only other thing might be if your parameters are out of whack.....

dsaundry
06-06-2008, 07:20 PM
You will probably never see your shrimp during the day. I only see mine at night and thats it usually. Try a flashlight at night and you will probably see it..If it's small it will hide for a bit.....

Flash
06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
nope all my parameters are perfect....so I know that wasn't a cause

RSM
06-07-2008, 05:12 AM
Hope it shows up, he's got a job to do!