PDA

View Full Version : snails not moving

fishguy007
05-31-2008, 04:06 AM
I just added some mexican turbo snails to my tank and some margarita snails. they dont seem to be moving around been a day and they are just lying in the sand. still alive, but not moving and crawling on the rocks and glass.

could this suggest a problem?

Keri
05-31-2008, 04:29 AM
Are they the first things in the tank? how old is the tank and what are your parameters? it's somewhat normal for them to stay still at first, usually till lights out, but a day is a little long. How do you know they are still alive? (moving a little?)

fishguy007
05-31-2008, 04:31 AM
all the parameters are okay. yeah. they are moving. i see a few on the glass now. but the others a still near the sand. some are stuck to each other.

fishguy007
05-31-2008, 04:32 AM
oh they are not the first things in the tank. i have a few fish and shrimp and crabs. the tank is about 2 months now.

Keri
05-31-2008, 04:48 AM
It might take till night time for them all to disperse :) You should be ok, as long as you acclimated them properly I wouldn't start worrying till tomorrow. If any are still in the same spot in the AM take them out and smell them, if they've died you'll know. Good luck! :)

bv_reefer
05-31-2008, 07:34 AM
ya mine layed dormant like that for the first 2 days, i thought they were dead for sure, but as soon as the lights went off they were climbing all over everything and eating away. snails are weird in that way, don't worry :wink:

tharkema
05-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah when I added my 2 margaritas they both went straight for the sand by the gass. I thought they were dead as well. I acclimitized them for 2 hours and didn't know what was wrong. The one started moving again after 24 hours and the second took 48 hours. Was glad to see him start moving and they both seemed fine after that. (I have noticed that they seem to be alot more active at night then during the day). I have now got some Astrea snails and they are amazingly active compared to the margaritas I had.

Anyways good luck and hope they are alive when you wake up in the morning doing there thing :)

spreerider
06-01-2008, 04:29 AM
my margarita snails are way more active than my astrea snails,
for the first day all my snails just sat still but the next morning they were all over everything.

fkshiu
06-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Your margaritas probably won't last very long unfortunately. The ones sold by LFS are usually a temperate species used to cooler waters. They will adapt to live in the temperatures that we have our reefs at, but their metabolisms will be on hyperdrive as a result and they'll only last a few months. It's a shame since they're such good grazers.

spreerider
06-02-2008, 06:46 AM
ya i knew that before i got them but its a new tank and i knew algea would be a problem so i had better have some short span ones for the first while untill it calms down and i wont need so many extra snails.