PDA

View Full Version : Vortec vs. Koralia Wavemaker Package?

Der_Iron_Chef
05-30-2008, 07:08 PM
In a 36" 50G tank, what do y'all think would be better?

1) A single Vortech ($400-ish)
2) Koralia Wavemaker + 2 Koralia 3 Pumps ($370 on sale at J&L)

Thoughts...opinions...etc.?

I'm looking for some wavemaking action as well as just some good random flow.

michika
05-30-2008, 07:21 PM
koralia for the price and pkg content. Any videos out there on how they look when they are on?

digital-audiophile
05-30-2008, 07:29 PM
I'd like to see the controllable koralias is action. I like the old school koralias I have, I and LOVE my vortech.

The only downfall with the vortech is you really need 2 of them on anti-synch to get a good wave motion.

michika
05-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Did Vortech sort out their problem with use of their pumps on acrylic tanks? Anyone else remember the crazing problem?

Ryan_Lap
05-30-2008, 10:43 PM
I just bought the Koralia Wavemaker and 2 Controllable 4's. I was also going back and fourth on the idea of a single Vortech or the Koralia package. For some reason I decided Koralia was the way I was gonna go and thats what I bought. I expect them to arrive anytime early next week.

I wont have my tank all set up and running til July, but I may have to throw them on my freshwater tank to see what they are like.

Ill keep everyone updated if they are interested when I get them and try them out.

JDigital
05-31-2008, 12:06 AM
In a 36" 50G tank, what do y'all think would be better?

1) A single Vortech ($400-ish)
2) Koralia Wavemaker + 2 Koralia 3 Pumps ($370 on sale at J&L)

Thoughts...opinions...etc.?

I'm looking for some wavemaking action as well as just some good random flow.

Hey, This is kinda off topic but,

I also have a 36" 54G tank, running 2 Koralia 3's... I can't seem to keep them from moving my sand around.. Have you had any issues with that?

kwirky
05-31-2008, 06:07 AM
I had to exchange my vortech today but I won't get anything other than it. It takes up very little space in the tank and one vortech gives better flow IMO than 3 koralias and 2 seios combined.

Koralias feel like a flutter against the hand, a vortech feels like a monster. But one vortech on full blast doesn't really cause havoc in my 45g cube. I don't have sand to stir up but I know two 1500gph koralias wouldn't satisfy my flow urges the same as the vortech.

The difference in cost really isn't one vortech vs 2 koralias+wavemaker. You're better off comparing 4 koralias on the wavemaker vs two vortechs. The koralias would be WAY cheaper. The vortechs would take less space. Those are the two major differences between them I think.

Are you keeping strictly SPS or a mixed tank?

Oh waves on the surface don't allways translate to waves in the rest of the tank at least with my single vortech anyways. I run my vortech on reef crest random mode which doesn't produce visible waves but gives the inverts and fish a chance to take a breather from the immense water flow here n there. Surface waves are like glimmer lines IMO :)