PDA

View Full Version : Worm like thing from LR "elastic worm"

banditpowdercoat
05-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Ok, tonight I get home from work, tank lights are off as usual. I turn the room lights on and say goodnight to my critters. Well, I notice this worm like thing coming out from the LR. extending like a tounge. I think it was scooping Amphipods? I have a ton of amphipods that come out at night. By the time I got the camers, it had receeded back into the LR. Was tan color, like elastic bands. looked about as stretchy too. Thicker at rock end(base), gradually tapering throughout its length.
I wish I could have goten pictures. Anyone have any idea's?

banditpowdercoat
05-30-2008, 08:02 AM
OK, managed to get a shot.

http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/tank%20024.JPG

I hope its OK, cause I think I see 2 more little ones on other rocks??

justinl
05-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Sipunculid (Peanut worm). They are harmless and eat algae and bacteria... certainly are not hunters. and for every one you see, there's probably five more you don't.

tharkema
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Definately looks like a peanut worm... was amazed at the first one I found and how quickly it can retract when light is shined on it. Started using a red LED light at night to see what other creatures I could find. (I now know I have a lot of peanut worms - and by the sounds of it have many more I have not seen :neutral:

Anyways nice photo of the peanut worm above... have you noticed any sort of darker banding on it when it is outstretched? It seems the ones I have all have darker banding when outstretched.

banditpowdercoat
05-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Peanut worm Huh. Well, learn something every day :D Didnt think it was harmfull, but needed to check. Seems most harmfull critters are hairy. Bristleworms and crabs LOL.

No darkening bands that I can see. red lights huhÉ (Ohh crap, my laptop is at it again. Eve3ry ehile it changes questionmark for É and cant figure it.)
I really got to get my blue Moon LEDès hooked up. Maybe more critters will come out.

Snappy
05-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Sipunculid (Peanut worm). They are harmless and eat algae and bacteria... certainly are not hunters. and for every one you see, there's probably five more you don't.
What he said.:wink: