PDA

View Full Version : Wavemaker Question

Skimmin
05-30-2008, 06:09 AM
So I'm starting to consider my new tank build but I have a question... Has anyone used a wave maker with the 'Herbie' style silent overflows? My last tank had the Herbies but because i had two overflows I figured a wave maker wouldn't work (in order to keep the overflows silent you have to match their flow with the output of your return pump. A wave maker would cause the flow in the overflow to be more random thus, I believe, you wouldn't be able to match the flow constantly???) but I'm not certain. I'm almost tempted to build a small tank (maybe 30 gallons or so) just to try it out because learning by trial and error can be quite costly with a big tank. So thats my dilemma. Any thoughts?

P.S Just a thought but maybe a closed loop system would be the way to go.(Achieve random flow without an actual wave?) the 'sway' of a wave is pretty nice though.

PzReefer
05-30-2008, 06:51 AM
You could design your overflow in the center where the wave height is minimal at best. :) I love my Wavebox for all its effects but I to had to move my overflow to the center of the tank.