PDA

View Full Version : LFS crawl complete with report

Bob I
03-16-2003, 10:13 PM
In the past two days I visited six LFS's. There is little new at Wai's (expensive) or Pisces. Big Al's claimed the best prices, but had no stock. Ocean was impressive with mainly softies, and overrun with Aiptasia. The best by far was Gold Aquarium on 17th Ave. SE. The chap I spoke to said I should see him next time, so I could get deals. He liked the idea of volume. He likes to sell smaller pieces (frags). For instance I picked up a 10 polyp piece of Candycane for $19.95. I also picked up a Zoanthid rock the same size I bought at Wai's a while ago. I paid $29.95 at Gold, and $79.95 at Wai's. Do I need to say more? :D :D

I was also at Riverfront to pick up a bit of Calcium Carbonate rock. They had quite a few fish, but the tanks are so dark you can't really see them. I did not ask for coral prices, but the fish were really expensive, except for couple of Powder Blue Tangs. They were only $89.95. :roll:

spikehs
03-17-2003, 12:03 AM
i have never been to golds, where is it?

Bob I
03-17-2003, 12:22 AM
17th Ave. SE. You will have to look for the exact address in the phone book. It is in a strip mall on the North side of the road.

AJ_77
03-17-2003, 01:07 AM
'Twas kgb's report of a $30 brain that first tweaked my interest in Gold's. I'm glad you made it down there - in my first visit I picked up 3 nice LPS for an average price of $25 each. These are all comparable to others priced at 60-70 dollars at other shops.

Price shouldn't be the only consideration - but the tanks were in good shape, and the corals were complete, well-shaped and healthy. They acclimated very well, and are doing nicely.

You mention zoos, Bob. Details??

:wink:

Bob I
03-17-2003, 01:27 AM
You mention zoos, Bob. Details??

:wink:
Not terribly exciting. Just a rock with what appears to be two kinds of zoos. Two different shades of reddish brown. One has small pinkish centres the other blueish? centres.

kgb
03-18-2003, 04:04 AM
hey guys i aint trying to advertise but golds is a good store.
the liverock is 5.99 with lots of coraline and good life. andf i ahave never seen this guy with a dead fish in his tank. also the best day is to go on fridays because he gets new stock every friday.

also he can get maxima clams (the nice blue ones ) for 65 dollars