PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Background

WuHT
05-30-2008, 04:08 AM
My aquarium fits nearly snug against a wall, and before i have it filled with water i'm trying to figure out what background I should try.

Coroplast seems like the easiest way out (corrugated plastic) but I dont even know where to get some in vancouver! Office depot ?

I went to some aquarium stores (ie Big Als) to see what they had .. and they had a plastic film (black/blue) material, but the problem was they didnt' have it in 24" height.

Any other suggestions ...aside from painting (which i'd like to avoid).
Might give JL a try later as well.

fkshiu
05-30-2008, 04:34 AM
My aquarium fits nearly snug against a wall, and before i have it filled with water i'm trying to figure out what background I should try.

Coroplast seems like the easiest way out (corrugated plastic) but I dont even know where to get some in vancouver! Office depot ?

I went to some aquarium stores (ie Big Als) to see what they had .. and they had a plastic film (black/blue) material, but the problem was they didnt' have it in 24" height.

Any other suggestions ...aside from painting (which i'd like to avoid).
Might give JL a try later as well.

You can get something just like Corolplast at Rona, but finding black is tricky. They should have blue, though. Just ask for the plastic sign board stuff because the Rona drone won't know what Coroplast is. Industrial Plastic & Paints has any colour you want, but you'll have to buy a full 4x8 sheet.

whiteice669
05-30-2008, 04:46 AM
painting is so much simpler, just pick your color, and a couple of coats, boom done

Brent F
05-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Another option is an acrylic mirror which you can get at home depot.

ElGuappo
05-30-2008, 05:01 AM
go to any home development site and ask a furnace instalation guy. they are used for running cold air returns so if you goto rona look in heating. also the most popular color ive seen is smokey grey. however i do i agree i think paint is the way to go.

marie
05-30-2008, 05:03 AM
Or you could just do like I did, which was do nothing and wait for the coraline algae to cover the back glass, which it will do unless your diligent about keeping it clean :mrgreen:

24storm
05-30-2008, 05:18 AM
Or you can go to a sign shop and get vinyl decal material and put that on. Thats what i did.

WuHT
05-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Wow thanks for all the advice.

The main reason i don't wanna paint is that the tank is mounted already .. with very little room to the wall ..so i was thinking of either sliding something in (like vinyl/coroplast) or pivoting the tank out a little to apply the "penn plax" stuff they sell at big als.

Pescador
05-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Buy a sheet of pexi at Home Depot and paint it how ever you like, then slide it in with the unpainted side against the glass. You can make some nice graduated effects or even put black behind your rock and blue in the open sections.