PDA

View Full Version : Adding LR in stages??

JDigital
05-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Is there any pro's or con's (more my concern) to adding LR in stages (10-20lbs) at a time?

Will I experience multiple Ammonia or Nitrite spikes by adding it in stages? Or is it best to just buy all that you need in one go?

I ask because, I am a fairly picky guy when it comes to the LR I see in the shops and generally looking for a certain size/shape/etc piece.

Cheers
Josh

Gools
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I did that for years. With no ill effects. But I did have a larger tank 180 display plus. So the chances of having a spike where not great. Maybe in a smaller tank you might have spikes. But it also depends if it is cured or not.

Alberta-newb
05-29-2008, 12:56 AM
No expert myself (hence my user name) but I've decided on the same approach with LR. I just picked out some really nice pieces as well and decided I didn't want the rest. I expect this is going to really prolong the process but will be worth it in the end. I'm thinking adding it in stages would be similar to adding more fish with mini cycles occuring everytime. Perhaps this may be even better than all at once which could result in a large ammonia spike? The smaller additions might even help keep your live rock "livelier" with less die off from ammonia/nitrite spikes?

Just thinking out loud here, curious to read what experienced members think.

Francis

marie
05-29-2008, 01:03 AM
It's possible, but I wouldn't risk any livestock for a while at least until you have a better idea of how big a spike you get in relation to the amount of rock you add.
In some ways it will be more beneficial to the life in side the rock because you won't have the huge ammonia spike all at once that tends to kill off survivors

untamed
05-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Adding new rock to an existing system is dangerous because any ammonia spike endangers the existing fish/critters.

What you describe is an excellent idea for starting a new system. The first rock that goes in has the toughest time. Subsequent additions benefit from the bacterial support on the earlier rock. Save your best rock (most alive) for the final addition. That was what I did when I started my tank. (4 loads)

Alberta-newb
05-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Adding new rock to an existing system is dangerous because any ammonia spike endangers the existing fish/critters.

What you describe is an excellent idea for starting a new system. The first rock that goes in has the toughest time. Subsequent additions benefit from the bacterial support on the earlier rock. Save your best rock (most alive) for the final addition. That was what I did when I started my tank. (4 loads)

Only 4 loads? From your signature I see you have a 400 gal, I know my banker wouldn't let me do it 4 lots if I had a 400 gal. :mrgreen:

May I ask how many pounds your total is?

Francis

JDigital
05-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks!

The only "live" component in my tank right now is 20lbs of LS and MAYBE 1lbs of LR rubble in my HOB filter (1week). I'd be lucky if the tank has even started to cycle. haha.

TJSlayer
05-29-2008, 01:47 PM
As longs as it cured rock you probably won't get much of a cycle at all. Sounds like your going to fish store getting rock then taking it home. If this is the case make sure you take a cooler or somehting with water from your tank in it. Put the rock in there and then in your tank when you get home. Should be next to no die off depending on the condition of the piece. If it's a new piece at the shop and isn't fully cured then you will have more of a cycle, but if it is already cured you should be good to go....

I did that with my new setup, and got about 60 lbs of rock and another 40 or so of sand and added to my new sand and base rock. (Both were from a tank that had been running for over a year)

Got a whack load of pods, mushrroms, zoos, bristle worms, sponges and other creatures and stuff on the rock and had virtually no cycle. Essentially I looked at it as the same process of moving to a bigger tank..

His was a 55 mine is a 75, so it's esssentially the same process as if I werte changing tanks.

I have had the tank running for almost two months and everything is doing great, no losses, and I already have severla fish in there as well as crabs, shrimps, etc.

Just my two cents..

TJ

untamed
05-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Only 4 loads? From your signature I see you have a 400 gal, I know my banker wouldn't let me do it 4 lots if I had a 400 gal. :mrgreen:

May I ask how many pounds your total is?

Francis

I mispoke...it was only 3 loads. The first load was low-quality base rock and I used it to fill the sump. I initiated a cycle on purpose at that point. Once I was sure that sump rock was cycled, I took LR in two more stages with a few weeks between loads.

Overall, I think I have about 300lbs of rock. Most people would say that is light for a 400 gallon tank.

justinl
05-30-2008, 06:56 AM
lfs rock is rarely cured. I got a large portion of rock in the beginning and cherry picked slowly after that. When i made additions, I cured it at home in a bucket. real easy and it ensures there is no spike upon addition. just submerge the rock in a container (tote, bucket, spare tank, etc), throw in an air line and heater and let it sit a few weeks. If you're really anal about it, you can test nitrogen levels, but i don't bother. I like to cure in a spare tank because it allows me to inspect the rock for any unwanted hitchers during the curing process.