PDA

View Full Version : Coralline Algae: Orange disease!

sunce_22
05-28-2008, 09:18 AM
My coralline algae has the lethal orange diease, and I was wondering if anyone could help me! It ls all starting to turn white and has that bright orange rings around the edges! Can someone please suggest something, I dont want to lose all of my algae!:sad:

michika
05-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Coraline can also be orange... it also often turns white when exposed to air. Was your rock recently exposed to air for a period of time?

Whatigot
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
whoah...
Never heard of this, seems like scary stuff.
I'd take the rock out of your tank and quarantine it, seems like that disease can spread like your tank flow.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mccarty_and_peters/coral/clodpage.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1200/is_n9_v146/ai_15811426

TJSlayer
05-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Remove the rocks that have it and quaranteen them.....

Not sure what else you can do....

Probably have to scrub the heck out of them and watch for a few weeks before returning them.

Did you by chance pick up a new piece of coral rock recently that may of had it?

Good luck

mark
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
interesting, never heard of it before.

Notice some orange patches in my tank a few months ago and haven't really been concerned. It's not slimy, feels more like bark and can easily be scraped off. Grows over the purple and where the coralline has turned white under it, thought more because of lack of light. Wondering if similiar to the OD.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/org.jpg

Whatigot
05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
can you scrape it off to find coralline underneath or does the orange leave a trail of dead or dissapeared corraline?

Did you add any new LR or Coral to your tank recently?

sunce_22
05-28-2008, 10:37 PM
There is no coralline algae underneath, it is just killing it! I read about it online, but there isn't much information about it.

It isnt the orange coralline algae, because is it only around the rim of the purple stuff and it moves then leaves the dead skeleton.

I have no bought any new rock, or exposed the rock to air. I guess I'll have to try to quarentine it, how much light does it need for the existing algae to survive?

sunce_22
05-29-2008, 09:31 AM
This is what the algae in my tank looks like right now.

I have done some research and I am sure that it is CLOD. (Coralline Lethal Orange Disease) I have emailed a few experts who published one of the first articles about it, in hopes for some answers.

Does anyone else on there know anything about it?

littlesilvermax
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
When I red the title, I thought it was likely nothing, but this looks real serious now!

I wonder where it came from, or if it is environmentally related.

sunce_22
05-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I got a reply from the two experts that I emailed initially, they said this:

" Thank you for calling this to our attention. Julian Sprung (a professional aquarist) will be the best source for information relative to your problem. CLOD comes in on live-rock from Fiji, especially Suva Bay, so we speculate that it would be less virulent to Caribbean corallines-if you can obtain them "

As many of you can imagine, I am now looking for contact information for Julian Sprung, I cannot seem to find his email address.

Does anyone on here know his email address?

danny zubot
05-29-2008, 10:18 PM
What are your tank levels like? What is your dosing regiment? The reason I'm asking is because I'm just wondering if something you dose may have triggered it, as a reaction. Julian Sprung will be a great person to identify this "condition". I'm interested to see what he says.

Canadian
05-30-2008, 01:24 AM
The obvious route for getting to Julian Sprung would be through his company Two Little Fishies.