PDA

View Full Version : 0.4 pH swing...bad?

Son Of Skyline
03-15-2003, 10:48 PM
With my new Pinpoint pH monitor, I've just learned that my tank swings from 8.08 before the lights turn on to 8.51 when the lights go out. Is this daily pH swing stressing my animals and corals? I know they haven't looked the greatest lately, but nothing has died, everybody's eating and my corals are still growing...slowly.

I drip kalk when the lights are out at about 2 drops per second. The drip stops when the lights turn on.

What's an average pH swing in a healthy tank? Thanks in advance :)

sumpfinfishe
03-16-2003, 12:47 AM
Son of a .... lol
Sorry I couldn't help it :wink:
Anyways my tank reads 7.09 to 8.10 in the night, and during the day the swing stops at 8.20 to 8.34 reading with my Pinpoint Monitor as well.

:D Rich

BCOrchidGuy
03-16-2003, 05:28 AM
Mine swings from 8.00 lately to 8.15...

smokinreefer
03-16-2003, 05:59 AM
hey mason,
got your alk problem worked out?

Son Of Skyline
03-16-2003, 06:30 AM
hey mason,
got your alk problem worked out?

I wouldn't say I got the alk problem worked out, but I have it under control. With a combo of 2 part supplements and kalk I've got my alk pretty stable, but I have to test it at least once every 2 days and make adjustments. Thanks for the tips on kalk btw, it helped out alot.

Now my concern is with pH since my pH swing seems pretty large. On some days it swings from about 8.1 to 8.5.

Thanks.

Doug
03-16-2003, 01:40 PM
7.09 Rich, :shock: I assume thats a typo.

SS, that seems like a pretty large swing. My barely moves but under different methods. My friends 120, which is kalk dosed, seldom gets below 8.2 @ night and up to 8.4 @ day. Mine, {sump running, :) }, is around 8.25 @ night and 8.4 @ day.

Son Of Skyline
03-17-2003, 03:20 AM
SS, that seems like a pretty large swing. My barely moves but under different methods. My friends 120, which is kalk dosed, seldom gets below 8.2 @ night and up to 8.4 @ day. Mine, {sump running, :) }, is around 8.25 @ night and 8.4 @ day.

I guess it is a big swing, but would you say it's too much of a swing?

Doug
03-17-2003, 01:59 PM
I dont think its somethin to worry to much about. I would be curious why such a large swing though.

The night reading seems closer to normal, but thats a big climb in the day. Do you dose in the day as well?

Son Of Skyline
03-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks Doug. I'm currently not dripping kalk when the tank lights are on. I won't worry too much about it then.

I dont think its somethin to worry to much about. I would be curious why such a large swing though.

The night reading seems closer to normal, but thats a big climb in the day. Do you dose in the day as well?

TimT
03-18-2003, 07:28 AM
I would think the kalk is binding up the CO2 at night and then during the day photosynthesis further depletes the CO2 thus causing an even higher pH. I would recommend increasing the gas exchange in your tank. If your pH goes much higher than 8.55 - 8.6 you will start to lose corals.

Cheers,
Tim

Son Of Skyline
03-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the tip Tim. I'll do that. Hopefully a good sized airstone will do the trick.

I would think the kalk is binding up the CO2 at night and then during the day photosynthesis further depletes the CO2 thus causing an even higher pH. I would recommend increasing the gas exchange in your tank. If your pH goes much higher than 8.55 - 8.6 you will start to lose corals.

Cheers,
Tim

TimT
03-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi SoS,

Airstones can cause a lot of mess in a tank. My recommendation would be a small powerhead pumping water from the bottom of the tank to the top.

Another thing that may help is to add CO2. A fun way to do this is to add a fish or two. :D

Cheers,
Tim