PDA

View Full Version : pest snail/Help ID

andestang
05-25-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm getting a bunch of them. I found some info awhile back, but can't seem to find it again. They were classified as a snail. Looking for ID and/or how to get rid of them.

http://www.asira.org/IMG_0471.jpg/IMG_0471-full.jpg

Keri
05-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Vermetid snails

Not Reeeally a pest but the webs they produce are unsightly and irritate some corals

Other than iodoine-dipping the whole rock they are one (also killing any other inverts on it) I don't know how to get rid of them....I have a couple, and the largest one I actually dropped the rock he was on breaking off Most of his tube....thought he was a goner but he grew a new one!

Does anyone know if the little round balls they produce are eggs or waste?

I saw some neon orange vermetids in the big DT at big al's in bby (the one with the Giant anemone) but mine are just brown.

Myka
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I'll second the vote...Vermetid snails. I use a fork to mangle them when they show up in my tank. It takes a few manglings, but they eventually die.

REDNECK_REEFER
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
if you are noticing long filamenteous mucus from the mouth, try increasing flow around the tube, it will blow away the detritus that he cathes in the mucus web and then you won't see the snails as much
good luck!!