PDA

View Full Version : Lighting recommendations for large sump/fuge (230gal)

bassman
05-25-2008, 03:00 PM
I just set up a 230 gal to use as my refuge and sump. It's BB with live rock, some LR rubble and a ball of cheato.

I looking for suggestions on the best lighting to grow my cheato to large proportions, I would like to have it cover 75% of the water surface, rougly 4'x2'

The tank is 72"x24"x30"H and has a 5/8" glass center brace measuring 2'x2'. I am not sure how this will affect the lighting, I would think it would hinder the penetration of the light somewhat. I just don't know if it will make a difference or not growing cheato.

I am thinking of something like a 48" PC Hood with 4x54watt, 6700K bulbs
Going with something like this 1/2 of the lights would be blocked by the center brace, once again I don't if it really matters enough to worry about.

Or I could go with a couple pendants and place them on either side of the center brace but then the center isn't getting any direct light.

One other choice for lighting is to buy 6-8 Phillips Daylight CFL 27 w bulbs and make my own fixture.

I am really struggling to make a decision on this one LOL, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kronk
05-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I would go with making your own fixtures with CFLs would be cheaper in the long run and a lot more flexible. You will likely need more than two probably maybe 4 to 8 single bulb fixtures for coverage. I wouldnt worry too much about the center getting direct light you will get a lot of reflection.

I gotta ask if your sump is 230g how big is the Display?

bassman
05-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I would go with making your own fixtures with CFLs would be cheaper in the long run and a lot more flexible. You will likely need more than two probably maybe 4 to 8 single bulb fixtures for coverage. I wouldnt worry too much about the center getting direct light you will get a lot of reflection.

I gotta ask if your sump is 230g how big is the Display?

Thanks I think the 6-8 CFL's would be cheaper in the long run too, just want to hear what others think.

The display will be the same size as the sump. Coming soon http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40990

sphelps
05-25-2008, 03:21 PM
How about a T5 setup, you could use KZ fiji purple bulbs. Since algae really only requires red and some blue spectrum it would likely be your most efficient choice. You could just use a new wave fixture from SS, very cheap yet effective fixture.

230 gallon sump sounds pretty big, you may just be adding unnecessary water to your aquarium which will require more expensive equipment and more maintenance. A 230 gallon display has plenty water volume as it is, your best best would be to minimize your sump volume.

bassman
05-25-2008, 03:37 PM
your best best would be to minimize your sump volume.

Huh, you aren't serious are you? I would have a 1000 gal sump if I had room.

sphelps
05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Huh, you aren't serious are you? I would have a 1000 gal sump if I had room.

Well yeah I am serious. What benefit does the extra volume serve? 230 gallons alone is plenty for stability. All you're doing is adding more water to keep clean, hence large equipment needed. Larger water changes. More energy to heat and cool. More evaporation, meaning more humidity. Much less efficient

It's kind off like putting a Semi-Truck engine in your neon.

bassman
05-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Well yeah I am serious. What benefit does the extra volume serve? 230 gallons alone is plenty for stability. All you're doing is adding more water to keep clean, hence large equipment needed. Larger water changes. More energy to heat and cool. More evaporation, meaning more humidity. Much less efficient

It's kind off like putting a Semi-Truck engine in your neon.

Hmm, well I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

sphelps
05-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Hmm, well I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Fair enough. but what's your reasoning?

bassman
05-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Fair enough. but what's your reasoning?

I am a firm believer in the more water the better. More stability, more room for live rock (I don't want 230 lbs of live rock in my main tank). Much greater nutrient export possibilities with a huge fuge. Larger bio load capacity for the main tank (if I need it), things like that.

I already have 90% of the "large equipment" req'd to run it. Just need lights now.