PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into reef tanks

Jaro
05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Hello all!

Getting back into the reef tank thing after taking a few years away from it. Looking for opinion on the Nano Cube HQI as well as any suggestions from the experts out there regarding starting back into this great hobby. I figured the Nano Cube would be a fun tank to work with since it is a nice looking package and has a good enough light to grow some nice corals and wont break the bank trying to build up and stock a big tank.

Sooo... the first question I have for you all, is there anyone out there willing to sell and cup or 2 of live sand and a few small pieces of live rock to help kick start the cycle? I'm hoping to get some rock and sand from several people in order to maximize the biodiversity and am willing to pay a fair price for it. I know it is asking a lot for people to take any sand and rock out of their tanks.

Where do you all suggest a guy go to get some good quality live rock in the Calgary area? Do the LFS carry better/worse/same quality of rock as to waht you can get by mail order?

Enough rambling, thanks in advance for the suggestions!

REDNECK_REEFER
05-25-2008, 12:28 AM
hey man, i've seen a few nano tanks for sale with the hqi bulb over it but the price seems a little high. For the cost of a biocube you could pick up a used tank drill it and set up a modest sump. that is as long as you don't mind using used equipment. lighting can be expensive but the lack of space in the biocube will probaqbly get to you before you know it!!
good luck dude!!

REDNECK_REEFER
05-25-2008, 12:33 AM
hqi biocubes are expensive and for the cost you may as well buy some used equipment and get a sump.

Jaro
05-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Cheers, thanks for the reply. My wife especially, and myself, like the clean lines and "polished" package of the cube so likely will go that route rather than trying to piece together misc. Kind of limits the available options but I think that is the way we will go to start out at least.

hillbillyreefer
05-25-2008, 05:32 AM
I wish I'd gone with the hqi when I bought mine. I'm upgrading to a 150w current-usa Sunpod, should be here next week. Other than that I'm happy with the tank. I put a couple of koralia nanos in the up the flow. There is getting to be plenty of skimmers designed to fit in the back chambers, they are slick looking little rigs. You will probably run out of room rapidly. Mine has multiplied into 4 salt tanks in the last 9 months.

kwirky
06-02-2008, 07:54 PM
resurrecting a thread but I think the HQI biocube is good if you can control the temperature. Some people have needed the little 1/15th HP chiller for their HQI cubes which could add an unexpected $400 cost to your reef down the road.

But what's another $400 for this hobby? :D

Jaro
06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
resurrecting a thread but I think the HQI biocube is good if you can control the temperature. Some people have needed the little 1/15th HP chiller for their HQI cubes which could add an unexpected $400 cost to your reef down the road.

But what's another $400 for this hobby? :D

Haha, isn't that the truth!

Thanks all for the advice and help, can't wait to get it up and running. I have seen some amazing pictures of the HQI tanks so it sounds like the tank and lights are great, just have to work around the temp issue and decide on where to draw the line on the never ending mods and upgrades. Anyone know of someone selling an HQI tank to upgrade to a larger tank??

VFX
06-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I was looking at RSM & Nano Cubes with HQI but ended up going with a Solana HQI as I could leave it open top to reduce heating issues.

In fact I have no over heating issues even with 3 powerheads & the 150w HQI running.

Solana Cube (http://www.current-usa.com/solana.html)

With the Solana, you could add a 250w Sunpod of 150w isn't enough for you.

I do recommend it if you're after an all-in-one & don't want a system with a sump.

Another great system to look at is the Cadlights 39 (http://www.cadlights.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=116).

I'd love to sell you my Solana & upgrade to a much bigger tank but my other half will actually kill me!