PDA

View Full Version : Custom tank pricing

Slick Fork
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi there,

Like the title says, I'm considering getting a custom tank done. Right now I'm just in the playing around stages and I was hoping I could get some feedback on what I should expect for pricing, wait times from order to delivery, who other people have used to build and what they liked about them. I'm out by Red Deer so I'm expecting to be checking out Calgary and Edmonton but am not opposed to a bit of a longer drive east or west either.

I'm torn between a medium sized (50-70 gallon) that I could keep on the main floor or something in the 90-110 gallon range that will go in the basement.
Please keep criticism of vendors to PM's so this thread doesn't get locked on me

Kalifornia
05-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Well the price is going to be considerably higher but defiantly you will get exactly what you want. My tank is a 100 gallon three panel starfire tank with two beveled edges dims are roughly 48x24x22 with euro bracing and corner overflow.
It cost me 800 but was well worth it and well I justified it as it is exactly what I wanted and am not going to upgrade for quiet sometime lol.
So if you are considering buying ONE Tank and sticking with it then I would defiantly go for a custom build. And starfire glass is well worth it
Hope that helps

rocketlily
05-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I purchased a 90 gal custom corner pentagon, 3 sides Starfire glass, with overflow in Edmonton. Had to wait awhile and paid much more than a stock tank, but would not do it any differently if I had to go it over. Very pleased with the way my tank turned out exactly as I wanted it.

digital-audiophile
05-22-2008, 05:42 PM
My 90 gallon with centre herbie overflow and black acrylic on the overflow box cost me less than $300 bucks and was ready in a week through Golds. I considered going starfire but it would have almost doubled the coast of the tank.

Kalifornia
05-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry one more quick note.
The bigger the better and well having it in your basement will keep it at a constant temp less worries of having to add a chiller.
I say might as well get as big as you can afford and fit , your going to end up there anyways, so why waste your dough on upgrading equipment etc.

Slick Fork
05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
This one will be replacing my current 110 that I bought used and is currently in my basement so the bonus there is that I have everything else that can just be switched over. My current tank is 60long, 24" high and 18" deep with half inch glass and no bracing (but lots of scratches!) My first thought is to get a tank that's the same as this one except put on the front so it would be 60 long, 18 high and 24 deep, but I can play around with those dimensions and tweak it a little. My MH pendant is 48" long so I can go as short as that if need be. The smaller tank upstairs thought is prompted by the simple fact that if it weren't for the tank and the tv we wouldn't have any reasons to go down the basement at all.

Greg, do you regret NOT going with starfire? The doubling in price you were talking about... was that for the whole tank in starfire or just the front panel?

digital-audiophile
05-22-2008, 06:39 PM
The doubling in the price would have been for the front and two side panels. Do I regret it? Some days... If I could go back I think I would have went for the starfire on the front panel, but I am still very happy with my tank.

sharuq1
05-22-2008, 09:10 PM
tagging along, I would be interested to know too

Hi there,

Like the title says, I'm considering getting a custom tank done. Right now I'm just in the playing around stages and I was hoping I could get some feedback on what I should expect for pricing, wait times from order to delivery, who other people have used to build and what they liked about them. I'm out by Red Deer so I'm expecting to be checking out Calgary and Edmonton but am not opposed to a bit of a longer drive east or west either.

hummer
05-23-2008, 03:46 AM
I bought my 90G w/ starfire front panel for about $425 from Golds. It was ready within 2 weeks. You can search for my postings to see what it looks like. They drew it out for me on how they would design it. I like how the tank turned out and it was finished sooner than I expected. They don't deliver so you'll need to find a way to transport it.

sonymdcdvcd
05-23-2008, 04:05 AM
I just bought a 90 with center external herbie overflow from Golds for $300. I ordered it 2 weeks ago and going to pick it up this weekend. :)