PDA

View Full Version : Can I put Tangs and Wrasses in my tank?

Aquarist ?s
05-20-2008, 03:45 AM
Hi,
I am planning on getting a 65 gallon tank approxamitly 3.5' in length. I am going to put about 80 lbs of live rock in with some soft and hard coral. I'll putt two clowns, a gobie, jawfish and a Scott's Fairy Wrasse. I was wondering if I could fit the following in and if not, how big a tank do they need?

Copperbanded Butterfly
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang

Also any suggestions on other fish?

!! Please Help !!

michika
05-20-2008, 04:28 AM
No tangs, they are too big for your tank, and will quickly outgrow it if you buy them smaller. Tangs require a good length to swim and thrive. Try looking at dwarf angels, they may be a better choice for your system.

If you want those tangs, you'll need at least a 120g, and preference should be for a long 120g, rather then a tall one.

Myka
05-20-2008, 04:51 AM
I would say no to all of those as well. There are some interesting Hawkfish as well, and Flasher Wrasses, etc.

Captainhemo
05-20-2008, 06:17 AM
I'd agree and say it's just too small for any tangs. I learnt the hard way and bought a small yellow tang , he eventually out grew my tank (36x20x20) and developed MHLLE .
I do have a dwarf angel (Coral Beauty) that has been doing just fine for 4 years now. If you decide on a dwarf angel, make sure you pick the ONE you like, as you proably won't be able to keep more than one angel in a realitively small tank

dsaundry
05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Agree....No tangs in a 65g..Yes to one dwarf angel and another question, what type of goby?? If you are planning on mixing soft and hard corals, you will have to be careful that chemical warfare doesn't start up..I have a 72g softie reef tank and I can't put any sps corals in it.

Zoaelite
05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Agree....No tangs in a 65g..Yes to one dwarf angel and another question, what type of goby?? If you are planning on mixing soft and hard corals, you will have to be careful that chemical warfare doesn't start up..I have a 72g softie reef tank and I can't put any sps corals in it.

You can't keep SPS because of soft corals? I don't know about that I have seen 100's of tanks with both in them with absolutly no problems. Look at what I stock (Below), as long as I run carbon everything seems to be nice and happy.
Levi

dsaundry
05-21-2008, 11:53 AM
You can't keep SPS because of soft corals? I don't know about that I have seen 100's of tanks with both in them with absolutly no problems. Look at what I stock (Below), as long as I run carbon everything seems to be nice and happy.
Levi

I agree,I have seen a number of tanks combining both, most seem to be larger tanks. My tank is a dominant softie tank and every sps I have tried has had a short lifespan, I have talked to several members and all agree that you have to be carefull about combining them. Imo, in my next tank I would either make a tank either sps dominant or softie dominant. I run lots of carbon and chemi-pure and still the sps is doomed in my 72g but everything else is booming.

Myka
05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
I will back up what dsaundry says...chemical warfare is a definate consideration. If you want happy, fast growing, brightly colored SPS, then keep it to maybe one or two softies. It depends which softies too...leathers and zoos tend to be the worst to combine with SPS. Carbon helps to absorb some of the chemicals, but an SPS dominant tank does better without any softies in the tank.

bv_reefer
05-22-2008, 01:52 AM
soft corals do release some pretty nasty stuff that sps don't appreciate, i second that, especially leathers like toadstools and fiji leathers. then again my sps don't mind mind the company of some 15 soft corals all around them, however running carbon all the time would be a great idea.

dsaundry
05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Are you going to go with a bare bottomed tank or are you going to have live sand in the bottom? If it is live sand you may want to consider getting a nice pistol shrimp and goby combination. Keep your fish's in the dwarf variety and you will acomplish a few things, One is that they won't outgrow the tank too fast, Two,you can put a bit more variety in if they stay small, Three, if you don't overload it too much, your bio-load should stay low, making it a bit more low maintanence.

dsaundry
05-22-2008, 07:29 PM
As for suggestions for fish,3-5 Choc Basslets are nice, just make sure you have a good lid on your tank as I have found out the hard way..They jump. Dottybacks are nice, several varieties, Orchids are my fave.. Pseudochromis fish are nice, just be careful what you combine them with. I like 6 line wrasses as well{they jump too}..Lots of other fish, I like the Coral beauty as well, I like the Flame angel and I also like a nice Rusty angel as well. You will only be able to keep one of the angels in your tank though, and they have been known to nip at corals..so far I have been lucky..Do your research and ask lots of questions about the fish you choose to combine, it can save you lots of grief later...