PDA

View Full Version : What are you using for a timer ?

Black Phantom
05-20-2008, 03:22 AM
I've been using basic electronic timers from Home Depot to run the various
pumps and MH lights that I have. Unfortunately every six months or so I end up replacing at least one of them. Does anyone have a suggestion for a more bullet proof setup. These timers are expensive and I'm tired of replacing them.:sad:

mark
05-20-2008, 03:33 AM
Right now hardwired UPM timer from HD for my MH (also used for years on a curio cabinet and for the outside xmas lights) plus a Intermac(?) plug in type for the actinics.

ElGuappo
05-20-2008, 04:45 AM
i use a coral life powerbare with built in digital timer. it has 4 fulltime plugs and 2 day and night sockets. i run two tanks off this.

spreerider
05-20-2008, 05:40 AM
check nedco or westburn for a good outdoor timer and a box then wire it up yourself, it should last forever and not cost 2 much.

edikpok
05-20-2008, 07:08 AM
I am using the ones from home depot - $6 / timer. I just wrap them in a bag so water doesn't get into it...

Joe Reefer
05-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I am using Leviton (http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=59354&section=17138) timers on my tank. They work well and the backlit lcd screen looks cool too.

ElGuappo
05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
i use a coral life powerbare with built in digital timer. it has 4 fulltime plugs and 2 day and night sockets. i run two tanks off this.

Forgot to mention prce of about 35$
http://search.ebay.ca/coralife-power_W0QQcrlpZ808348087Q5f53QQfcdZ2QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1 QQkeywordZcoralifeQ20power

i have also heard of a string of fires due to these in 07 so check the manufacture date on the back if you buy at an lfs.

littlesilvermax
05-20-2008, 08:43 PM
I am using Leviton (http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=59354&section=17138) timers on my tank. They work well and the backlit lcd screen looks cool too.

How much and where did you get them from?

Joe Reefer
05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
How much and where did you get them from?

I got them at Home Depot. They where sold in packs of 2 for about 50 bux IIRC.

littlesilvermax
05-21-2008, 12:35 AM
I got them at Home Depot. They where sold in packs of 2 for about 50 bux IIRC.

Thanks, I will take a looksee next time.

wolf_bluejay
05-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I have a 2 APC server rack PDU unit as my main timers.
There are gross overkill, but they are wired into the home network, each has it's built in web page that you can configure timers and events on. It also monitors how much power each outlet is using. This is great for figuring out how much the tank costs me. Even more fun is the fact that if the temperature or current draws get to high it will email and text message my cell phone.

As these are built for real high availability environments they have been really rock solid, but at about $500 each (not what I paid) they are killer.

BTW: can you guess what I do for a living!

Black Phantom
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
I think whats killing them is the sudden large draw of power when my MH ballasts fire up. I guess I'll have to whip out my electrical tools and hardwire in some heavy duty mechanical timers. I'll check out the outdoor ones as I like the fact they are water resistant.
I never did check out these to see what kind of amperage they were rated for

littlesilvermax
05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I think whats killing them is the sudden large draw of power when my MH ballasts fire up. I guess I'll have to whip out my electrical tools and hardwire in some heavy duty mechanical timers. I'll check out the outdoor ones as I like the fact they are water resistant.
I never did check out these to see what kind of amperage they were rated for

I agree. My timers for my halides last about 1 to 2 years.

spreerider
05-23-2008, 07:09 AM
try to find ones that are rated for use with HID lamps, arc lamps or tungston Lamps (part number will end in T). These switches are designed to extinguish the arc when the contacts ppen as the ballast will try to maintain the circuit and arc, damaging the contacts and breaking your timer.

Black Phantom
05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
try to find ones that are rated for use with HID lamps, arc lamps or tungston Lamps (part number will end in T). These switches are designed to extinguish the arc when the contacts ppen as the ballast will try to maintain the circuit and arc, damaging the contacts and breaking your timer.

Where were you when I needed you, before I spent all that money :lol:

REDNECK_REEFER
05-25-2008, 12:22 AM
try talking to your local electrical supplier for hard wired industrial timers, they cost a fair bit and require some basic electrical knowledge but they are really reliable. the oly drawback is the loud smack of the cotacts when the timer turns on

JDigital
05-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Forgot to mention prce of about 35$
http://search.ebay.ca/coralife-power_W0QQcrlpZ808348087Q5f53QQfcdZ2QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1 QQkeywordZcoralifeQ20power

i have also heard of a string of fires due to these in 07 so check the manufacture date on the back if you buy at an lfs.

How do you like it? I was looking at one today.