PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Food - 3rd batch

michika
05-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Alright, I need more food for myself so I'm looking at making more in the next two weeks. If you want some, let me know how many bags please.

The deal with this food order will be that you have 2 weeks to pick up your food if you pre-order, after that it will be a free for all on anything not picked up or remaining (that didn't have prior arrangements made).

Here is a link (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40466) to one of the previous batches I made. Each bag contains 1 cup of product, frozen in ziplock freezer bags and laid flat. 1 bag for $10. The frozen product is about 3/8" think when frozen in sheets.

Ingrediants for this mix are;
- Mysis
- Nori (All colors)
- Oyster Eggs
- Garlic (crushed)
- Scallops
- Vitamins (selcon and zoe)
- squid
- Krill
- Spirulina flakes
- enriched rotifers
- spirulina enriched brine shrimp
- cyclop-eeze
- silversides with heads and tails removed
- cuddlefish
- shrimp

I am willing to ship if need be.

Darth Wader
05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Hey will you be attending the Reef Meet at Greg’s place next week? If so I will pick up 2 bags off you at that meet. Let me know.

michika
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I will be attending. Originally I wasn't planning on making it before then, but we'll see what happens. I'll post up once I've gotten the materials, and started making everything.

Duffer2
05-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I would love to get 5 bags if possible. I will be out of town and unable to make the reef meet, but I can pick up any time after that weekend, just let me know when and where. Do I need to prepay or is this good enough? Thanks.

RonPeter
05-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Is it possible to ship to Kelowna, B.C.? Or is this not reasonable? Thanks.

Myka
05-17-2008, 05:26 AM
I'm in Kelowna as well, and I would be interested if we could get a few of us together to make a group order. A larger order would stay frozen/cool better. Are you interested in shipping at all Catherine?

michika
05-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Yes, I am willing to ship. Greyhound is my preferred method, but I am open to other shipping companies. How many bags are you thinking of?

michika
05-18-2008, 02:15 AM
I'm having a hard time finding enriched rotifers, they may not make it into this batch. Instead I will replace it with something else, I haven't decided what yet. Ocean plankton perhaps? Anyone have any preferences?

Note to self, buy these;
selcon
zoe
oyster eggs
cyclop-eeze
spirulina
brine
mysis
krill
ocean plankton?
angel diet?

Myka
05-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Are you using frozen Cyclopeeze or freeze dried?

I only need one bag...even then it will get freezer burned before I get to use it all. :(

RonPeter
05-18-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm interested in 1 bag as well to try out for the first time.

EmilyB
05-18-2008, 07:03 AM
Hey Catherine, I only have the one tank now, so I've become a bit lazy about making the homemade....I'd like a bag if you can bring to the meet ?

Snappy
05-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Sounds disgusting so I'll take a bag as well if you can bring me one next Saturday when you come over. Thanks.

KennyKen
05-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Count me in for a bag if you are planning on making it in time for the meet.

-donka

michika
05-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes it does sound disgusting!

I use dry cyclopeeze in the mix, and I let it soak in the selcon, zoe, garlic, and oyster eggs for about half an hour before mixing it in further.

Yes I am going to the meet, I'll bring what you've all asked for. I'll also make a post in the thread for the meet to see if anyone else wants any.

Myka, if you want I can make you a smaller bag, half the contents at half the price. It'd be the same size bag, but the contents would be frozen thinner.

Carmen
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi Catherine
How long does it last in the freezer? I'd love to try a bag but have not stocked my tank with any fish. Will it last a few months??
Carmen

michika
05-18-2008, 02:44 PM
It depends. Provided you keep the air out of it, it should last a month or two.

I do make food pretty regularly, it seems I make it every 6 weeks or so. I go through a lot of food myself, and tend to forget to keep enough.

So far the running total for all bags is 17. 5 of which are to be brought to the meet. 1 bag so far to be shipped out to Kelowna. I am looking to make probably 50 bags of product, and I will sell off all the unspoken for food in a couple of weeks.

Myka
05-18-2008, 04:34 PM
I use dry cyclopeeze in the mix, and I let it soak in the selcon, zoe, garlic, and oyster eggs for about half an hour before mixing it in further.

Myka, if you want I can make you a smaller bag, half the contents at half the price. It'd be the same size bag, but the contents would be frozen thinner.

Frozen Cyclopeeze kicks major butt on the dry stuff!! Quite a bit more expensive though as is any frozen.

I would be much appreciative on a smaller bag! :D I only have 3 fish that eat prepared foods.

michika
05-18-2008, 04:39 PM
What makes frozen so much better? Is it really going to have any impact because it has to be thawed and then re-frozen to be properly mixed in.

Myka
05-18-2008, 05:44 PM
What makes frozen so much better? Is it really going to have any impact because it has to be thawed and then re-frozen to be properly mixed in.

Apparently frozen has more nutrients than FD...although technology is advanced in FD, so who knows. I can't find any hard evidence either way via internet.

I do notice a HUGE difference in PE using the frozen over FD, and the fish go nuts for the frozen too.

brizzo
05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm in Kelowna as well, and I would be interested if we could get a few of us together to make a group order. A larger order would stay frozen/cool better. Are you interested in shipping at all Catherine?

Count me in. That makes me, you, and ron

Carmen
05-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I will take a bag then Catherine. I will be at the reef meet. Thanks! Carmen

michika
05-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Okay I've added you onto to list.

Kelowna People,
How many bags?
How would you liked it shipped?
When would you like it shipped?
To whom would you like it shipped?

I'll be bringing probably 5 or 6 extra bags to the Reef Meet.

Myka
05-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Okay I've added you onto to list.

Kelowna People,
How many bags?
How would you liked it shipped?
When would you like it shipped?
To whom would you like it shipped?

I'll be bringing probably 5 or 6 extra bags to the Reef Meet.

I can head organisation of the Kelowna/Okanagan group if you'd like. I will make a separate thread for it to keep it all straight. See if we get enough people to make it worthwhile.

I think Greyhound with an insulated box and ice packs should suffice. You can send it COD so you don't have to worry about calculating shipping. We can try to arrange it during a cooler time before it gets ridiculously hot! It looks like next week will be fairly cool, but the rest of the month doesn't look too bad...

How would you like all of us to pay? I'm assuming it would be easiest if we sent you one payment from all of us.

michika
05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
I like paypal as an option, however I'm willing to entertain other methods if need be.

Myka
05-18-2008, 09:59 PM
I like paypal as an option, however I'm willing to entertain other methods if need be.

That would work...it might get a bit confusing, but we should be able to sort it out as long as people attach what their CanReef name is onto the Notes portion of the PayPal payment.

andestang
05-20-2008, 09:24 PM
I'll grab a bag at the meet Catherine
thanks,

michika
05-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Please note there will not be any Oyster Eggs in this mix, I haven't been able to get them, they've been out of stock. I'm trying to remember to post this on all 3 of the relevant threads; here, the B.C. order, and the Reef Meet.

BC564
05-21-2008, 04:35 PM
ok....I picked up my bag from you yesterday....thought I would just give them some for a change from the regular mysis.............the fish went stupid over this stuff....Im gonna end up with fat fish........

michika
05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
My fish fight over it if I don't put enough in. I do have fat fish...

BC564
05-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I guess you better put me down for 2 more bags.....by the time we meet up again....I will need it.......

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 04:46 PM
i will take 1 or 2 at the meet depending how much i spend on corals.

michika
05-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Alright, your both down on the list.

BC564
05-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey there fish food provider...lol.....does your food actually freeze solid....mine is kinda like.....soft...but not .....

michika
05-21-2008, 09:53 PM
My stuff is solid, but when you break it off it feels kind of soft/mushy.

BC564
05-21-2008, 10:24 PM
yeah ok...thats the same then......thanks

michika
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
No problem!

andestang
05-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Alright, your both down on the list.

Is that including me ? :mrgreen:

michika
05-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes, you too! I should have said the three of you. My bad! :D

Darth Wader
05-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey Catherine. Are you going to have any of this food for sale at the reef meet, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would pick up 2 bags from you. Let me know if you will have that avaliable at the meet.

michika
05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, I am bringing food to the meet. There is additional info on the reef meet page itself.

Darth Wader
05-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Cool. Yea I found it on the reef meet page. I'm stoked, I have wanted to make my own food for a while, but I dont have a blender and I cant justify buying one just to make fish food, so this works out good!!

BC564
05-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Is there some sort of special fish food recipe one has to make this? Or do you just kinda wing it?

Darth Wader
05-22-2008, 05:26 PM
From what I've read most people seem to just wing it. I think Marc has a good step by step you could fallow on how he makes his food.
check it out.
http://www.melevsreef.com/food.html

michika
05-22-2008, 05:37 PM
I have a recipe that I use. I've also taylored mine to the needs of my fishes. E.g. since my tank is mostly tang based I try to ensure that my foods have a lot of vegetation, and that the meat foods I provide are high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. The recipe I use is a combination of a few different ones I've found online. I also do not add some things found in seafood mixes, e.g. clams. I just don't want my fish to develop a taste for those.

If you were to make your own food I would strongly recommend a good blender/food processor. Also be aware of what you are putting into your mix. I don't add pellet foods because I am avoiding the gels and preservatives. Same goes for spirulina, I only use a particular brand, again to avoid preservatives. Lately though I am looking at avoiding the use of garlic in my foods. In the end I just want my foods to offer a variety of foods, a good assortment of tastes, and immuno boosters. I do believe that variety wards off things like HLLE, and helps stubborn fish accept prepared foods in the home aquarium. This is how I've always been able to get my risky fish eating food; mandarin, Copperband Butterfly, certain tangs, etc.

BC564
05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
ok I get it....and you probably have to make a large batch to get everything that you need or want in.....so you sell off the rest....

michika
05-22-2008, 05:49 PM
That is exactly it. You also have to buy everything in larger sizes, so rather then having it go bad/get freezer burn, I just sell it off.

BC564
05-22-2008, 05:51 PM
ok....thanks.....

RonPeter
05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Good to hear...I hope my Tomini tang loves this stuff!

michika
05-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Food is all done, frozen and ready for pick up.

I have Tuesday, and Thursday free. I may have some time free this weekend, I need to wait a few more days to confirm.

EmilyB
05-27-2008, 05:19 AM
I've been way too lazy lately to go back at making homemade. My fish were ecstatic about your food Catherine, thanks again!

michika
05-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Glad your fish liked it.

michika
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
PM me or post to arrange pick up please, this stuff is again taking up freezer space!

michika
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
If you haven't yet contacted me to arrange to get your food please do so ASAP!