PDA

View Full Version : Turbo charged Turboflotor skimmer!

aquamansilver
03-14-2003, 06:59 PM
Hi, just want to share my experience with my newly acquired Turboflotor 1000 skimmer. I bought this used skimmer on Ebay almost 3 weeks ago. It was to replace the Prism skimmer and was part of an attempt to control an algae outbreak in my tank.

The skimmer was in A1 condition and come with a RIO 2100 pump with the needle wheel (I Know, I know!!!).

I cleaned the skimmer and installed it in a sub-sump beside my sump/refugium. I installed the plumbing, the flow switches to control the water in and out and connected the skimmer input to the sump/refugium return line

Everything was fine, even perfect! I never seen something skim that much.. Then I read on wetwebmedia.com that this skimmer could perform better with the addition of an air pump. So I did and it did doubled the number of bubbles and obviously increased the efficiency of the skimmer.

But then, the noise of the skimmer pump and the air pump bugged me so I am planning to buy an Ocean Runner pump as soon as I find a Canadian vendor... but in the mean time yesterday night I was contemplating the skimmer and the skimmate it produced and remembered those horor stories with the RIO's pumps that people told on RC. I panic and remembered also that some people put a Mag 7 on those skimmer to replace the RIO 2100. Luckily I had 2 mag 7 doing nothing in the garage so... I decided to put the mag on the Turboflotor just to see how the skimmer would perform with that pump and what difference a normal impellor would do. It took me 30 minutes and was very easy to do. I reuse the RIO connectors parts and one additional fitting (a trimmed 3/4" to 1/2" fitting) to connect the elbow to the mag 7.

I connected the Pump to the Skimmer and put the skimmer in the sub-sump, plugged the pump and it was amazing!!! I had to remove the flow controls in order to prevent the skimmer from overflowing! The air input line is even making noise and will need a muffler. Also the quantity of bubbles is nowhere near what it was even with the air pump!!! The normal impeller did seem to be producing the same quality of bubbles than the needles wheel one but 5 times more!. The Mag 7 is noisy and will be replaced by an Ocean runner which should give the same result as the Mag7 with lesser noise/vibration.

Just wanted to share, feels good to have a real skimmer now! :D

BCOrchidGuy
03-14-2003, 07:13 PM
I,ve heard tons of horror stories about Rio pumps too. My 2500 my 2 1100s my 800 600 and 400 are all working fine, even after some of them are over 3 years old.

Having a good skimmer is sure nice isn't it.

Jack
03-14-2003, 10:07 PM
Nice job.

Mag's shouldn't be noisy, expecially a 7. Maybe it needs a new impeller, just a thought because it's a cheaper alternatave that costs less than buying a whole new Oceanrunner pump.

Why mess with something that is working soo good? ;)

aquamansilver
03-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Good idea! The mags were bought used so maybe it is really the impellers that need to be changed... I am going to try out to change the impeler instead of buying this OR pump... Considering I have to get the OR pump from our US friends and pay the extras$$$$ in taxes, customs, over priced shippings ...

Thanks.

Seriak
03-18-2003, 09:18 PM
So would a Mag 12 be too powerful for the turbofloater. I have an extra mag 12 and all I am using is the crappy rio right now.

Chris

smokinreefer
03-18-2003, 09:53 PM
yeah, a mag 12 is too strong for this skimmer. you'd definitely have to throttle it down.

aquamansilver
03-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Seriak, I have a spare mag 7 if you want to trade your mag 12! let me know.

aquamansilver
03-21-2003, 05:40 PM
I received the new impeller from MOPS. Put it in the MAG 7 and I get the same vibration noise.... Hummm... It is less noisy than the previous RIO but nevertheless I can't stand it...

So OK, just for fun (ya got a few $ to burn) I am going to order a OR 2700 from the US and see if it is more silent than the MAG.

Cost: (49.99 US + 15.00 US shipping) x 1.65 + 7% TPS + 7.5 PST + Customs fees = :crazyeye:

aquamansilver
04-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Just to follow up: I got the new Ocean Runner 2700 pump and installed it yesterday ==> IT IS DEAD SILENT. :cool: (compared to the RIO or MAG 7). and it skimm like crazy! The needle wheel is 2 times bigger than the one that was in the RIO 2100. I had to restrict the air intake and full-open the adjustements knobs so it did not overflow.