PDA

View Full Version : stand leveling advice

CLINT
05-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok so if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it.I am starting the build for my 150g and have built the stand, removed a doorway and and now I'm a little stuck.Seems like everything else in my house. The fellow that built it(my dad)did a lot more cutting than measuring and well, the doorway I want to put my tank in isnt level. There is about a 1/4IN difference front to back.Now the question is how do I go about fixing it without having it come crashing down or look like my kids built it.LOL.I dont think self leveling compound would hold up and I dont want to scab wood on to get it up to height.Would it hurt to take a hand planer and take it down in the front to bring it into level or would the difference in height make it unstable somehow.Probably a dumb question but I figure I cant be the first to have their stand sit funny and since the wife is allowing me to do this I want to make it as painless as possible.Thanks for any input.Clint

Chin_Lee
05-16-2008, 02:31 AM
clint
two possible ways:
- if the difference is 1/4", then put a 1/4" thick x 4" wide piece of wood all the way across the stand of the lower side at the bottom. You can get these in or near the moulding section or the primed pine wood area at HD.
- temporary nail a fence up around the top of the stand all the way around and pour in self-leveling compound. that stuff is suppose to be pretty good with the leveling and very strong because its made to be thin

CLINT
05-16-2008, 03:16 AM
thanks Chin I think I have a plan.Those lights of yours will finally be fired up.Clint

brizzo
05-16-2008, 03:43 AM
Is it the floor or the stand that is uneven? If its the floor, I think it would be easiest to use shims to level the stand. You can get large size shims, 5 to 6 inches wide. They go from 1/8" at one end up to 3/8", they all vary.

CLINT
05-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Definetly the floor.it raises just slightly at the doorway.I will look at getting some shims.Thanks for the suggestion.Clint