PDA

View Full Version : Bottled Water

TAZ
03-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

Right now I don't have the money to buy an RO unit, so for water top off's and water changes we have been using the bottled water from Canadian Springs. My wife is now starting to wonder if this water is actually any good, she is starting to question the quality of this water. So I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using this water, does anyone else use this stuff. If this is no good is there a better bottle water I can buy until I get the cash for an RO unit?

Thanks
Martin

Aquattro
03-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Martin, I believe that is RO water, not spring water? I'm sure it's fine if it's RO.

golden69_ca
03-14-2003, 07:36 PM
i just got an ro system the outher day and up untill then i was using superstore machine water . i work on these machines all the time and they are trufully very well ro treated water . you live in coquitlam i would go and use the westwood store by the brick . when your ready to get an ro let me know .

steve-s
03-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Martin, I believe that is RO water, not spring water? I'm sure it's fine if it's RO.

Canadian springs does not have a facility for R/O production as yet. They do only spring and DI.

Cheers
Steve

sumpfinfishe
03-16-2003, 01:20 AM
I use pure spring water from Polaris that I buy at Costco at $6 for a 5gl jug. Before that I used spring water from a local artassian well, however as everyone under the sun was starting to use this water which in return caused many traffic accidents-so it's now closed :cry:

For the past 5+ years I have used local and bottled spring water and have never had any problems with algae and such. My tank is only a 27gl so I don't mind picking up at bottle once a month, and toping off with a 500ml once a week :D

cheers, Rich

Old Guy
03-16-2003, 03:38 PM
I always thought Mineral Spring Water was just as it says. Full of minerals, which to my knowledge(or lack thereof), includes metals. Many test and investigations in the past found some brands no better than tap water without the chlorine. I personally don't know if the same holds true today as I put in a RO system many years ago and have not bought water in a long time. :D

Jeff

steve-s
03-16-2003, 03:57 PM
In my earlier post I said that Canadian Springs does not do RO water, which was incorrect. They have recently been purchased by Dannon and have gone through some interesting upgrades. They do infact offer all types of processed water.

Here is a link to their treatment process Canadian Springs (http://www.canadiansprings.com/products_treatment.cfm)

I have always used basic tap water for all three of my tanks and have never had any problems with it. I do use Prime® to eliminate the chlorine/chlorimines and also help bind any stray metals that may be present.

You may wish to view the city of Vancouver water quality page (http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/engsvcs/watersewers/water/quality/), it has not been updated in a while but I know from personal experience if you e-mail them they get back to you within a few days and are quite helpful...

Cheers
Steve