PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Aluminum

Samw
03-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Need some aluminum for various projects. Any places you can recommend or should I just pick a sheet metal shop from the phonebook? Thanks. Some will be used for inside a canopy and some will be used as a kitchen backsplash.

CHEAPREEF
03-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Do you guys have a "Metal Supermarket" around there anywhere? If you do that would be my choice, fair price, always have stock and they will cat to any size.

Clinton

Old Guy
03-14-2003, 10:04 PM
Depends on how wide you need. I bought mine at Home Depot, but 9" wide was all I needed. That was the widest one they sold and if I bought it, the price had to be cheap. :lol:

Samw
03-15-2003, 01:33 AM
Cool. Thanks for the tip. I just looked up Metal Supermarket and they have a website and they cut to size and deliver in BC.

Now, if I can only find out what "ALUMINUM SHEET 6061 - T6" and "ALUMINUM SHEET MILL FINISH - NON HEAT TREATABLE " are and whether or not either of them are decorative (for backsplash) or usable for reflectors (inside canopy).

I'll also check out Home Depot.

Bryan
03-15-2003, 02:54 AM
Sam:

Perfect place for you is a sheet metal shop on Main street about one block north of the main street skytrain station. You have to look as it's a hole inn the wall. they have all kinds of scrap stainless steel and aluminum in all gauges for a reasonable price.

I was there last week and picked up a 10 x 48 piece of stainless steel scrap for 15 bucks.

-

Canadian Man
03-15-2003, 03:44 AM
Cool. Thanks for the tip. I just looked up Metal Supermarket and they have a website and they cut to size and deliver in BC.

Now, if I can only find out what "ALUMINUM SHEET 6061 - T6" and "ALUMINUM SHEET MILL FINISH - NON HEAT TREATABLE " are and whether or not either of them are decorative (for backsplash) or usable for reflectors (inside canopy).

I'll also check out Home Depot.

6061-t6 is heat treated alumimum. that's what the t6 stands for. Auminum sheet with a mill finish probably will have a rough finish to it. not heat treatable would be 7000 series aluminum.... I would not suggest bending this material too much as it will crack if bent maybe more than a 45deg angle and then moved too much.

If I were you I would pick the 2nd material because it's going to be cheeper, probably. it will be more brital(spelling?) than the 6061 aluminum though. I know this useless knowledge because I am in the bicycle industry and fabricators now adays are experimenting so much with diffrent additives to aluminum that it's hard to keep up sometimes.

cheers