PDA

View Full Version : skimmer question

tgoeujon
05-14-2008, 01:40 AM
ok so i know coralife isnt a great name but does anyone have any experience with the super skimmer 220? will it handle my 110? also if anyone is using this skimmer what kind of pump are you using with it?

tgoeujon
05-14-2008, 05:46 AM
?

Myka
05-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I never recommend the Coralife skimmers to anyone. They aren't very efficient. Anyone who tells you they like theirs have never had anything better to compare it to. They are also known to flood floors.

If money if an issue, buy a used skimmer instead. Look for an ASM or EuroReef. :)

Drock169
05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Agreed I would never recommend a coralife skimmer to anyone either. Try to find a used Euroreef RS135.

tgoeujon
05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
unfortunately i already bought it so i need to know what pump i will need if anyone knows

super7
05-15-2008, 05:31 AM
they should come with a pump. I don't know the size though cause I don't use one. Pump is probably worth more than the skimmer though. :(
Super7

tgoeujon
05-15-2008, 06:21 AM
the 220 doesnt come with a pump. it just says you need a pump that pushes 650 to 700 gph

gqlmao
05-15-2008, 07:54 AM
stock coralifes skimmers come with rio pumps, I rememeber reading that on my old coralife skimmer. more specifically they are called Rio Hyper Flow™ Professional Grade Water Pumps.
http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/index1.html
The problem I see is that you need a different intake outlet inorder to get the air sucking in because these ones dont come with a stock one. I'm talking about the pointy end that you see for the coralife skimmer pumps with the air hose sticking out. Umm You going to need a pretty big pump maybe the biggest model? if it recommends 600-700 gph just gotta look at the labels and specifications.

Stanley,

Captainhemo
05-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I know on the smaller Rio pumps (eg Rio 600) you can get the optional venturi attatchment for use with skimmers. Maybe call a vendor and ask about the larger ones ....

seanoman
05-15-2008, 04:14 PM
We had a 220 on our 72 gallon (our first tank) and wouldn't recommend it. On several occasions we came home to a flooded floor. They are extremely finicky pieces of equiment and really don't do a great job. I realize that you have already bought it, but if possible I would be looking into getting yourself a better one in the near future. You will most likely be very dissappointed with it.
By the way, when we bought ours, it came with the pump, we didn't have to buy one for it.
Just my 2 cents though.

fencer
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I am currently using a 220 on a 72g( total system vol 125 g). I have no complaints. I don't dispute there are better skimmers(You get what you can afford and make use of what you got). All skimmers are affected by the level of the sump or the tank. Fill the sump with makeup water you affect the balance of the skimmer temporarily...which can cause flooding. Wet skimming can lead to flooding. You can improve the skimming in the 220's by adding a beckett mod or adding fishing line to the impeller or adding a recycle loop.