PDA

View Full Version : MH ballast question

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-14-2008, 01:18 AM
I have a ARO Electronic Metal halide Ballast LMH 120-250 watt sitting around. I want to know if its possible to use this with a lower wattage bulb? I think I would like to use a 150 if possible...maybe a DE 150? I have a feeling the DE needs a different ballast but Im not sure. I have no idea how these things work. Is there any other info from the ballast you would need to figure out if its possible?

Basically, what type and wattage bulbs are ok to run off this ballast?

Thanks!

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Can I use a HQI DE 250 watt? I seem to remember them needing a different type of ballast but I really have no idea.

EDIT: Yeah just remembered it would have to be a mogul base for this ballast.

spreerider
05-14-2008, 03:08 AM
im not totaly sure about yours but most electronic ballasts will run any bulb of similar wattage, its best not to overdrive mh as it significantly shortens their life and the replacement cost is high.
google your ballast and you should be able to find what it supports.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-15-2008, 09:22 PM
im not totaly sure about yours but most electronic ballasts will run any bulb of similar wattage, its best not to overdrive mh as it significantly shortens their life and the replacement cost is high.
google your ballast and you should be able to find what it supports.

I couldn't find my ballast specifically but Im pretty sure it can't support double ended bulbs. I think I have to stick to mogul base. Im quite confused actually...:mrgreen:

I just basically want to find out what I can replace my current bulb with. I bought it used and Im not even sure what kind it is. I have always just had double ended MH fixtures in the past.

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Ok, so apparently according to Hellolights site, this ballast will work with any 250 watt lamp, including double ended.

Black Phantom
05-15-2008, 10:49 PM
You won't be able to drive anything lower than a 250 bulb as that is the rated wattage for your ballast. The 120 is refering to the line in voltage.
The beauty of electronic ballasts is that they are very stable and usually use about 10 percent less power than an old tar ballast. This means longer bulb life.

rangers-reef
05-23-2008, 07:37 PM
from what ive learnt most digital ballasts will run double ended or mogul based