PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates almost at 40.....water change advice

fishyfolks
05-13-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi everyone,

I was looking at my 135gallon tank today, and I noticed that one of my clams is looking pretty rough. I tested my water to find my nitrates at almost 40! Now, I am leaving tomorrow for 3 days, and I have to do a water change tonight. I live in Calgary, and I always use tap water to do my water changes, but I also always have the time to allow that water to sit 24-48 hours for the chlorine to dissipate. I priced out going to SuperStore to buy 40 gallons and its not too cheap, not too mention how bloody heavy it will be to lug 8 bottles in from my truck. So, does anyone know if it would be harmful to use tap water to do a 40 gallon water change this evening? I have tons of heaters and salt, so my temp will reach 78-79 in no time at all.....any ideas about using tap water right away? Cheers everyone.

dabandit
05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
thats a big gamble with alot of expensive livestock,I've done it succesfully with freshwater but my livestock cost maybe 50$ lol Go buy some carbon take a canister with some holes in it and filter the water through it,if your nitrates are that high the damage is probablly allready done anyway

Der_Iron_Chef
05-14-2008, 12:06 AM
If it were me, I would probably just do a smaller water change instead of taking chances with the tap water.

fishyfolks
05-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey guys thanks for the replies....I called golds and they told me I'd be safe putting a chlorine remover into my water prior to doing the water change. I dont usually like to add chemicals, but in this case I'll have to. Cheers again.

i have crabs
05-14-2008, 01:29 AM
i used tap water and prime for years never had any issues other than algae

Myka
05-14-2008, 03:58 AM
Side note... have you tested your tap water for nitrates? You could be introducing them by DOING waterchanges! ;)

Prime is a great water conditioner to use to treat for chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia.