PDA

View Full Version : what kind of snails??

Scorpion
03-14-2003, 06:53 AM
what type of snails eat green algae? the green algae looks kinda like minature grass paches on live rock.

also... i have dwarf zebra hermits. would they kill the snails looking for a bigger shell? if i do add snails... i was gonna buy shells first for the crabs.

i want to add bumblebee and nassarius snails. what do you guys think? :)

steve-s
03-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Most snails will eat film algae, diatoms and certain types of caulerpa. With hair and other stringy types you will need to trim the longer growth's or they will ignore it for the most part. If short enough they will eat it just fine.

Small patch's of "grass" sound like it could also be bryopsis which the snails will never eat, so make sure you ID the type of caulerpa to be sure. I am at work right now so no links. If someone else can provide one in the meantime that would help....

Bumble bee snails can be a great addition, but be aware that they are primarily carnivours and will do little for algae control directly...

Cheers
Steve

Scorpion
03-15-2003, 12:04 AM
actually... i'll try and get some pics of the algae soon.

Dorkel Marine 1
03-15-2003, 07:27 AM
I've had about 5 zebra hermits who have grown bigger than I ever thought they would and they leave my nassarius snails alone.

George