PDA

View Full Version : what can I do with a 4 gallon nano?

reefy
05-12-2008, 11:59 PM
hi I have a spare 4 gallon tank and I am wondering what I can do with it, what coral can handle ( I know it depend of lighting ) I think I have a decent lighting for it; I love toad mushrooms do you guys think I can have one in it? I am planning to put 2 half inch pecular(tank bred) thats my plan, any suggestion?

Zoaelite
05-13-2008, 12:05 AM
In a 4 gallon I would only go with one at max 2 different species of coral. The water volume is just to low to risk having chemical warfare spring on your plate. Mushrooms would work well, specificly try some Yumas mabey some rics and it would look amazing!
Levi

reefy
05-13-2008, 12:23 AM
yumas? I can handle that with a 4 gallon? kool, any anenome that doesnt need too much light for my perculas?

christyf5
05-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Those percs will outgrow that tank pretty quickly IMO. A tank that small you'd be better off going with a small goby.

I have a 7.5 gallon tank with a pygmy hawkfish and it grows algae like crazy. I do waterchanges on it weekly (almost need to do it twice a week). But the algae still grows. I'm thinking of removing the fish and putting a cleaner shrimp or something less maintenance in it.

Anyway, thats my two cents.:biggrin:

VFX
05-13-2008, 12:33 AM
A 4 Gallon Nano would make a great Sexy Shrimp Species tank.

Maybe have a few of those little guys in there with some neon green hammers (depending on lighting).

Not sure on the best number to have in a 4 gallon tank but there's a Sexy Shrimp thread on nano-reefs.com

Add a neon goby or yellow clown goby & you'd have pretty neat little tank.

mseepman
05-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I would look through nano-reef.com and take a look at the amazing tanks some of those are. Excellent DIY threads there and I think you'll find your answers pretty quickly.

I agree a small goby and some sexy shrimp would be great!

reefy
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
A 4 Gallon Nano would make a great Sexy Shrimp Species tank.

Maybe have a few of those little guys in there with some neon green hammers (depending on lighting).

Not sure on the best number to have in a 4 gallon tank but there's a Sexy Shrimp thread on nano-reefs.com

Add a neon goby or yellow clown goby & you'd have pretty neat little tank.

thanks, after reading the thread on nano-reef for the sexy shrimp, now I kinna want to have those shrimp instead of my peculars that I already have or I will leave it on my refugium haha or I might just put it with my SS on the future. thanks for all your replies it really help. btw I am wanting to throw in a feather duster what do you guys think?

mseepman
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
They require a decent amount of food to be in suspension...not sure if you would foul your tank up too quickly while trying to keep this guy from starving.

reefy
05-13-2008, 07:11 PM
yea, I might get my tank mature first right now I am sticking with my 2 peculars and some live rock for a while before I add any thing in there. thanks alot guys!

superduperwesman
08-20-2008, 02:30 PM
So... what did you do with it?

skabooya
08-20-2008, 07:37 PM
A sexy tank would be awsome. But sometimes they have a tendency to annoy softies esp zoas and ive even read that some end up killing zoas from bugging them too much. But they are still soooo cool.

superduperwesman
08-20-2008, 08:19 PM
A sexy tank would be awsome. But sometimes they have a tendency to annoy softies esp zoas and ive even read that some end up killing zoas from bugging them too much. But they are still soooo sexy.

:biggrin:

JDigital
08-20-2008, 08:56 PM
A sexy tank would be awsome. But sometimes they have a tendency to annoy softies esp zoas and ive even read that some end up killing zoas from bugging them too much. But they are still soooo cool.

If they are bothering corals, then they aren't getting fed enough. (Direct spot feeding)