PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Top off System Please!

dandyfop
05-12-2008, 09:10 PM
So, the set up

Tank ||
----- || Bathroom sink
Sump ||

^
|
Wall

I know, I know, Diagram of the Month quality...

I NEED a top off system due to my sump design (and just because :)

| |
| | | |
| | | | |

^ ^
Pump Baffles

I made the compartment for the pump really small in case the overflow failed/plugged. Unfortunately, it also means that any small amount of evap. seriously lowers the water level in that compartment, and makes the pump run dry.

So, I need a top off, and I need to get into some kalkwasser as I'm moving from softies into LPS.

My options are:

1) Drill a hole through the wall and run a water line from the bathroom sink into my sump area. Use it to fill a bucket with kalk and then either
a) put the bucket on top of the sump and use a simple float valve.
b) put the bucket next to the sump and use a electronic device, ATO or this one from spectrapure that uses air pressure to judge levels, and then use a pump.
c) keep the bucket under the sink and run a tube into the sump, using the above method

Acckk.. too many options, I need your wisdom!

Thanks

P.S I need to do much research into kalk. I don't need a mixer right? Just mix it in, keep the pump above the sludge, and refill every week or so?

mark
05-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Not using Kalk for calcium (have Ca reactor) but do have a ATO. Can be as simple as you figure, a mechanical float valve in your sump and a reservoir above. The reservoir can be directly above the sump or even in another room.

Kalk Reactor are simple and lots of DIY designs out there but basically a resealable container, pump for stirring and a timer. To have a kalk reactor, could just insert between your fresh water reservoir and the float. Since using gravity, the reactor could sit on the floor beside your sump, reservoir again wherever just as long as higher.

Before getting to involved into reactors though, might want to get a ATO set up first and monitor to determine your Ca needs.

Lots of reading on Canreef if you do a search for "Kalk Reactor", might even find a few FS or at least pictures for ideas.

dandyfop
05-12-2008, 11:53 PM
Do I need a reactor?

What if my top up bucket just had a powerhead on a timer? I use tap water... i know .. i know... but its vancouver, it can't be so bad right?

How does dosing work? Can i keep super-saturated liquid in my res at all times? If you add kalk really slowly, does it matter how much you add? I need to make something that won't require to much futzing because the tank is at work, and I can't spend all day playing with the fish! the idea of keeping it super-saturated seems easy, because there is no measuring involved, and the concentration always remains constant. I need to measure the rate of evap. I suppose and factor in how much kalk would actually be added daily...

Is ATO the way to go for an electronic sensor?

dandyfop
05-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Oh, BTW my awesome diagram got reformatted when I entered it, and now makes almost no sense!