PDA

View Full Version : long term use remora

kwirky
05-12-2008, 04:41 AM
I have to say i'm not impressed after using this skimmer for almost a year now. It's pulling nothing out and never has. I run carbon as well so it shouldn't be chemical interference.

Anybody know how to get one of these to work? I've tried cleaning the venturi and I've kept the maxijet clean. I'm at a loss. Just about ready to get rid of it and go for a proper in-sump skimmer

kwirky
05-12-2008, 04:44 AM
woops. move to the review thread plz lol

Myka
05-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Mine is always dirty. I've had it on my tank for a bit over a year, and I've cleaned it and the MJ1200 once. I do regularly take the collection cup off and clean it out, particularly the inside of the uptake of it. It does an ok job. They definately aren't great skimmers, but I would say other than the Deltec HOBs the Remoras are the only ones that actually have some performance.

On my 33g it pulls about 1 cup per week, medium colored. That's about as good as I can get it to go. I have mine so that the cup is sitting about 2/3 down, and the screw for the spray injection (it's not venturi) is screwed in so it's about flush with the pipe that it goes into. You can definately adjust it poorly enough so that it won't do a darn thing...fiddle with the cup height and the screw.

fkshiu
05-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Hook up a Mag3 with a Hagen surface skimmer to it. This should solve the remora's two most glaring short-comings: power (the more the merrier for an injection-style skimmer) and intake placement (should be at the surface where all the crap ends up, not a few inches below).

My jury-rigged contraption actually did pretty well on my old 46 gallon although I didn't need a heater anymore with the big honkin' mag on in there.

Okguy
05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Hook up a Mag3 with a Hagen surface skimmer to it. This should solve the remora's two most glaring short-comings: power (the more the merrier for an injection-style skimmer) and intake placement (should be at the surface where all the crap ends up, not a few inches below).

My jury-rigged contraption actually did pretty well on my old 46 gallon although I didn't need a heater anymore with the big honkin' mag on in there.

I've done the same thing but I hooked mine up to a Mag5. Can't believe what I pull out every 3 days :eek:. Because of the extra power, I need to keep the collection cup as high as I can, but it's definetly worth it...

Myka
05-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Interesting...I'm going to have to mod mine!

banditpowdercoat
05-13-2008, 05:41 AM
I have an urchin, with a Oddesea pump. Works pretty good for me, As limited that I know about skimmers. I bought it used, prev owner added the larger pump, said it increased skimmate production alot. I have to keep cup 2/3 up too, and empty every 2 days, usually once a day

kwirky
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
ok well my remora did poorly and now the way I have it set up it doesn't work at all. It's hanging on the edge of my sump with a riser tube coming up from the MJ up to the skimmer. The intake for the skimmer's about 4" above the water surface. I think that ain't helping any. I wonder if I should get a mag 3, or get something bigger.

Or just get a whole new skimmer for like $180 or so. ASM maybe.

I just remember my RS120 pulling out LOTS of thick dark crap on my very lightly stocked 120g tank. Don't think I'll ever get that kind of performance from the remora.

Okguy
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
I switched to a Mag5 when I build my sump as a way to see if I could avoid buying a larger skimmer (as my water volume went from 50-72 gallons). Because I moved it too my sump, I was even able to plumb the Mag externally (removing extra heat from the tank). I couldn't be happier with the results. It was an $80 experiment that ended up saving me a couple of hundred bucks. Also if it doesn't work, you could probably use the Mag5 to drive a new skimmer?

ok well my remora did poorly and now the way I have it set up it doesn't work at all. It's hanging on the edge of my sump with a riser tube coming up from the MJ up to the skimmer. The intake for the skimmer's about 4" above the water surface. I think that ain't helping any. I wonder if I should get a mag 3, or get something bigger.

Or just get a whole new skimmer for like $180 or so. ASM maybe.

I just remember my RS120 pulling out LOTS of thick dark crap on my very lightly stocked 120g tank. Don't think I'll ever get that kind of performance from the remora.

bv_reefer
05-14-2008, 03:33 AM

this is really interesting, never knew you can do that kind of mod on it, gonna have to look into it