PDA

View Full Version : LR options/opinions

Alberta-newb
05-12-2008, 04:10 AM
I'm getting close to completing the mechanical setup of my 120 build (testing the plumbing now) and will soon be in the market for live rock. There seems to be several options available and I'm wondering what experienced reefers suggest?

a) purchase LR (150+ lbs): all at once through an online distributor (J&L, OA, etc..) good price but can't pick individual pieces and more die off from shipping?

b) purchase LR from LFS (all at once): higher costs, but can hand pick. Although I honestly haven't been impressed with what I've seen (slimy, green algae, very little corraline) Is all LR rather ugly looking when new?

c) same as b) but purchase smaller quantities at a time (easier on budget, pick the best pieces, but will take longer to cycle tank?

d) purchase "used rock" from classifieds: probably well cycled, can see what I'm buying, but perhaps I'm inheriting someone elses problems?

So many choices!:sad: Trying to learn as much as I can, but I am struggling with this decision. What has worked/ not worked for you?

Thanks,

Francis

Myka
05-12-2008, 04:24 AM
I like used rock the best. It's good to know what you're looking for though to know not to get rock that has pests like aiptasia, majano, flatworms, hydroids, etc or nuisance algaes like bryopsis, hair algae, padina, valonia, lobophora, dictyota, sargassum, etc on it. If the rock is pest/nuisance algae free then I think it is the best option. You KNOW what you're getting as far as the pieces go, as well as what is growing on it.

Second choice would be online vendor. I would choose to "cook" the rock for several weeks in the dark to cure it before using it to cycle the tank. This is to try to kill nuisance algaes that are likely to be present on the rock even if they aren't yet visible.

It would be a very desparate measure for me to buy rock from the LFS.

mseepman
05-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Another option would be Eco-rox from www.bulkreefsupply.com Clean...but needs to be seeded.

kwirky
05-12-2008, 04:39 AM
I say buy it directly form the LFS. I have to say i'm super awesome at picking kick AZZ liverock :D

you can pick super porous pieces and end up getting lots for your money. just cherry pick the store RIGHT when they get a fresh shipment in, is all I have to say.

mark
05-12-2008, 04:57 AM
option D and probably with the best price.

Starry
05-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Id go for used as well. more coraline and maybe some attached palys and other goodies. hopefully with a healthy pod population.

EmilyB
05-12-2008, 06:35 AM
New, 40lb boxes of Fiji. :biggrin: If Fiji is still available that is...

Captainhemo
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Another option would be Eco-rox from www.bulkreefsupply.com Clean...but needs to be seeded.

Looks as if you could get some nice pieces for a pretty decent price here. Not sure how much shipping would set you back but you could look into it. Maybe a 50/50 split with some new/used rock

Myka
05-13-2008, 04:42 AM
By the time you pay shipping, duty, etc on the Eco Rox it is about $3.50 to $4/lb depending which ones you choose. Remember though, that the Eco Rox is DRY WEIGHT, so 1 lb of dry Eco Rox is going to be much more rock than 1 lb of wet live rock. ;)

Alberta-newb
05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for your input! :biggrin: Not sure if my decision is easier as it seems all can be good choices. I think I may go with a combination of all. I'm not in a major hurry as I want to go at everything at a slow and carefull pace.

Once I have my plumbing issues resolved (my pump has not been delivered yet) and a final decision and purchase of lighting (T5 6 or 8 bulb) I think I'll start actively purchasing LR through the classifieds and nice pieces from various LFS's. Thanks for the link to the Eco Rox! I think supplementing the live rock with some choice pieces from there will allow me to get creative with aquascaping. I'm really going to try and avoid the "fruit stand" pile of rock look.:wink:

Will keep you all updated in my build thread.

Francis " Alberta-:n00b: "

Myka
05-14-2008, 03:43 AM
I would suggest you get all your rock before you decide to add livestock. You will usually cause anything from a very very minor mini cycle to a full blown cycle when you add a new piece depending on how much die off you get aka how cured it is.

Alberta-newb
05-15-2008, 07:15 PM
I would suggest you get all your rock before you decide to add livestock. You will usually cause anything from a very very minor mini cycle to a full blown cycle when you add a new piece depending on how much die off you get aka how cured it is.

Good advice, thanks. My understanding (and please correct if I'm wrong) Is to to first get all the live rock in and cycled, then inverts and finally fish?

What about the so called "clean up crew" How soon and what? Is it best to be selective on these additions and try to target persistent troubles (ie. algae blooms)?

Also I'm looking at a sand bed in my fuge, will the live rock help seed fresh sand or should I be looking at picking up some used sand or the commercially available products like "reef mud" and how soon should this go in?. My understanding is for a properly operating sand be you need a wide diversity of species and to be carefull not to add something that will wipe out too much of the beneficial ones.

SO MUCH TO LEARN! Looking forward to any and all words of wisdom.

Francis