PDA

View Full Version : Help with this acro?

Borderjumper
05-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I bought three nice sized colonys about a month ago. The blue and the tri-color are doing awesome.. then theres this one... I dont know what its called, but its highliter yellow colored. This was it when I bought it.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/IMG_0153.jpg

It did have some long dead branches at the base.. they were covered in coraline. This was 4 weeks ago.

A week ago I woke up to half of it RTN.. so I fragged off the good parts. I made sure I cut well above any bad tissue. I made 4 or 5 nice size frags using 2 part epoxy.. Ive used it before with other acros and no problems.

Now all the frags are receding from the bases. This frag is the worst. The others are just starting. The dead tissue is even all the way around.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y240/Carrida/acroreseeding001.jpg

I dipped them all when I got them and used a magnifying glass and saw no sign of bugs or any kind of damage.

Any ideas.. refrag and try superglue? I really would like to save at least ONE tiny bit of this coral:mrgreen:

michika
05-11-2008, 07:20 PM
I find the epoxy stuff heats up and does/can cause RTN, but only on some colonies. I usually super glue everything. Has the RTN stopped? If so maybe just leave it and it will recover on its own.

Anyways, big color change from the original colony to now. I hope it colors back up for you and you don't loose any of your frags.

Borderjumper
05-11-2008, 07:51 PM
This one got worse overnight.. the others are staying about the same.

I think I will refrag this one and use superglue and see what that does. It was a wild collected colony so I expected it to loose color for a while. Some colonys just dont take to tank life and this may be one of them. Atleast its dying happy.. check out the polyp extension.

michika
05-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Some colonys just dont take to tank life and this may be one of them.

So very true! Good luck and post up what happens would you please?

Atomikk
05-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Refrag and only use Gel superglue. That epoxy causes more problems than it should.

untamed
05-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Dip the frags in an iodine based dip (TMPCC) before you remount them. I use the purple epoxy that you used and haven't experienced it to cause sudden death.

Aquattro
05-12-2008, 01:04 AM
I've never had any issues with epoxy, some colonies start to slough, and it's like a cellular thing, all the parts do the same thing. I've fragged colonies and put them all over the tank, and they all still RTN'ed. Sometimes they just do that.

Borderjumper
05-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Ya Brad Im afraid thats what this one is going to do.
I used epoxy on the other two colonys I bought and didnt have any tissue damage, in fact those frags have already started to encrust the epoxy.

The other 3 or 4 pieces didnt get any worse today.. so maybe they will heal up. Im about ready to go back to LPS.. I hate this getting up every morning to see if anything died or got the bug overnight:mrgreen:

Untamed, I did dip them in TMPCC when I fragged them last weekend. This time I dipped them in Revive.

Snappy
05-12-2008, 02:30 AM
They will likey be ok and the STN will stop if they get proper flow and not too bright of light until they get settled so keep them on the sandbed. I think it is likely a flow issue. Sory I disagree and I don't recommend dipping corals in iodine treatments for rtn/stn. I know the manfacturers of those products say that you should but it has never worked for me, ever. The best thing IME is really good random flow in high quality water.

bv_reefer
05-12-2008, 03:28 AM
when one of my colonys started to RTN at the base i made 1 frag, then fragged the rest of it a couple days later, and the first one i fragged was the only one to survive even though the others looked perfectly fine when i cut them off the colony. i tryed the the TMPCC and as snappy mentioned it did nothing, then i sorted in different locations in the tank, some in high flow some in low, and still nothing, kept on losing 2-3 frags/day, just a thought-

Snappy
05-12-2008, 05:26 AM
Proper parameters are very important with sps so if they aren't right flow won't make a difference.