View Full Version : ID This Please

Mattgesy
05-11-2008, 05:59 PM
What Is This! Turned on my lights this morning and seen this moving around

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/luvbugg18/008-2.jpg

sorry for the big huge picture lol

Myka
05-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm going to venture a guess that it's some sort of Polychaete worm.

P.S. It's a shame you feed Hill's brand pet food. Or at least I assume you do from the container. :lol:

Mattgesy
05-11-2008, 06:13 PM
i work at a vet clinic, all my animals eat vet food, :)

Zoaelite
05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm going to venture a guess that it's some sort of Polychaete worm.

P.S. It's a shame you feed Hill's brand pet food. Or at least I assume you do from the container. :lol:

The Science diet forumula used to be AMAZING... but the company did the same thing IAMS, EUK and many other companys did and absolutly ruined their formula with out notifying anyone. Hills does have a vet brand food now, I believe its called medi- cal?
Levi

(On topic it is some sort of a Polychaete worm nothing to worry about IMO)

Mattgesy
05-11-2008, 06:32 PM
well i took the worm out of my tank anyways becuase hell i want it in there, its scary looking

No, Hills does not own Medical at all, medical owns Royal Cannin food
Hills is Hills lol
Hills has only changed there formula in the store brand food they took the peanuts out of the food for people that is allergic to it, and feeding it to there pets, but as for changing anything alot, nothing at all

Zoaelite
05-11-2008, 08:24 PM
well i took the worm out of my tank anyways becuase hell i want it in there, its scary looking

No, Hills does not own Medical at all, medical owns Royal Cannin food
Hills is Hills lol
Hills has only changed there formula in the store brand food they took the peanuts out of the food for people that is allergic to it, and feeding it to there pets, but as for changing anything alot, nothing at all

So taking the peanuts out magically turned "Chicken" into "Chicken By Products?"... Science diet about 2 years ago had a listing of ingredients that was similar to Nutro foods now its more similar to IAMS.

Myka
05-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Those foods are all crap imo. Look at the ingredients. Good foods are Evo, Evo Innova, Wellness, Orijen, California Naturals, etc. :)

Zoaelite
05-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, IMO the ONLY affordible food which still holds a proper nutritional value would be the Nutro line of foods.
levi

Those foods are all crap imo. Look at the ingredients. Good foods are Evo, Evo Innova, Wellness, Orijen, California Naturals, etc. :)

Myka
05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, IMO the ONLY affordible food which still holds a proper nutritional value would be the Nutro line of foods.
levi

California Natural is pretty affordable...the 36lb bag is about $50-52 around here.

Albeit my dog did well on Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult for 5 years before I switched to raw for a year, and now Wellness.

Holy thread hi-jack!!! :lol: Oh well, we determined the ID of the worm. ;)

justinl
05-11-2008, 09:10 PM
well it certainly is a polychaete, but whether or not it was harmful (since it got the boot) is questionable. i doubt it was and im willing to bet that it wasnt the only one in your tank too.

when you say "moving around" do yuo mean along the ground or in the water column? it looks like it might be in one of its reproductive stages called an epitoke... or it might just be a species that always looks that way. shrug.

Mattgesy
05-12-2008, 02:57 AM
everyone has there opinions on petfood, if you really think about it, it what is best for your dog is it doing good on it, hair look good, not puking, less poo in the yard, then its a good food! end of story!

i just pitched the sucker down the drain i wasnt happy on putting him back. he was swimming in the water up near the top, like sezier type swimming lol
i was planning on getting a six line wrasse hoping that sucker will help with anything in there

fishoholic
05-19-2008, 04:58 AM

I have to agree. I would also add Acana, and though it isn't completely grain free like orijen, the ingredients are comparable to wellness and is about half the price.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-19-2008, 05:07 AM
VOTED!....most successfully hijacked thread in history.

:D

Mattgesy
05-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Acana secretly has grain in there food, keep looking :P and its not as close to wellness more like ol' roy

yes hijacked it was, what is my gift for it lol

WhoPoopWrasse
05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
it's called ol' Roy because ol' Roy is in it!
I also read somewhere that what they call chicken/beef/whatever by products is not nessasarily that. Some organization went undercover in a cheap pet food processing plant and said that anything under the moon is in it.

A partial list (from memory):

cancerous cows
euthanized dogs and cats picked up from the vets, some with collars and tags still attached.
feathers by the tons

This mess of stuff stinks to high heaven and is crawling with maggots and bugs!

All this is moved around with a bulldozer, then cooked to high temps to kill of whatever, bla bla bla, need I say more.

Now I'm really careful reading ingredients and I also make my own dog food. Luckily they're small Yorkies! :mrgreen:

Yes I hi-jacked this thread too!

d33ps3a
05-21-2008, 12:30 AM
What is this thread about?

WhoPoopWrasse
05-21-2008, 12:58 AM
I can't remember! :lol::lol::lol:
Just kidding, it was about IDing a worm, which was done...

Whatigot
05-28-2008, 01:55 PM
who cares.
The worm has been killed and now I know I have been buying dog food under false pretenses.
My German Short Hair and I have been lied to by innova.

WhoPoopWrasse
05-28-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm not familiar with this company, are they high end dog food?

Whatigot
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
After rereading this thread, hijack and all, I see that innova was one of the ones that is "good".
I'll be honest, I didnt do a lot of DD into dog food, I just bought the most expensive stuff that the local pet shop had.
They carry that nutro brand as well, and it's almost 40% less than the Innova, I'm going to try it based on this hijacked thread.
I am blown away by what I have read, though I can only imagine how much my dog would LOVE that bulldozed pile of fermented meat and animal parts but all the same, I still don't want him eating it....

I have a lot of worms like that in my tank and aside from rasing the odd hair on my neck, they never seem to do any damage to my inhabitants and I read that they can be beneficial in removing or loosening detritus in the rocks...

Haloreef
05-28-2008, 06:59 PM
We changed our dog food to Hunden Flocken Solid Gold for our Chow Shadow about 10 years ago. With great results. Prior to the switch she would all of a sudden start pulling out the fur on her rear end until she had bald patches, and hot spots. A few trips to the Vet and it was discovered that she had a allergy to beef. We also add a little of the sea meal to her food on occaision and she seems to love it. She just turned 14 and still tears around the back yard like a puppy. Well ok maybe a teenager. Our Vet always comments on her good health durring her check ups.
Keith.