PDA

View Full Version : My DIY calcium reactor

CHEAPREEF
03-13-2003, 04:58 PM
Just wanted to share some pics of my first reactor.
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/winterbeater/Picture_059.sized.jpg
http://www.nacdsm.org/albums/winterbeater/Picture_057.sized.jpg
Built it a week or so ago, took 2 1/5 hours and works great. Holds 8 1/2lbs of media and only uses a bubble count of 10/min. The reactor ph is around 6.7 and the kh is 40. The bin of LR and coral frags has stayed steady at PH 8.3 and KH 13, the calcium is at 440ppm. Happy days, should have built one of these a long time ago. :wink:

Clinton

Delphinus
03-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Is that a flowmeter on your needle valve? Where did you get that and how much was it?

Jack
03-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Whoa, looks good. What size MAG are you using? You're getting handy at this DIY stuff, eh?

How much total do you think that unit cost, just the reactor?

Nice work.

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Very nice... clean and professional looking.

Thats a nice size CO2 bottle, where did you get it?

terryp01
03-14-2003, 02:30 AM
Hmmm, that assembly looks very familiar. Wonder where I have seen that model before??

:? :wink:

CHEAPREEF
03-14-2003, 02:32 AM
Is that a flowmeter on your needle valve? Where did you get that and how much was it?
Yeah it is but it's for a mig welder so it's way to high for this aplication. I bought it at Princess Auto, cost $65.

Whoa, looks good. What size MAG are you using? You're getting handy at this DIY stuff, eh?

How much total do you think that unit cost, just the reactor?

Nice work.
That's not a MAG it's a pump called Hydor, the size is 185gph. Well i'm a bodyman by trade so DIY is my whole life, just never worked with acylic before this. :D The unit cost was around $90 with the pump, the regulator cost $65 and the CO2 tank was $5 at a garage sale. :D

Very nice... clean and professional looking.

Thats a nice size CO2 bottle, where did you get it?
It's a 2.5 lb CO2 bottle, it's called Soda Express got it at a garage sale. You should be able to find them in the Buy and Sell for cheap, cost $3 to fill and any wine/beer supply place should fill it. I actually have 2 one just in case. :wink: Thanks for the compliments guys, still can't get over the low bubble count though :shock:

Clinton

BCOrchidGuy
03-14-2003, 02:43 AM
I'd say you got a good deal on that CO2 bottle, and again very nice clean looking job.