PDA

View Full Version : For those with experience raising fry...

Myka
05-09-2008, 03:10 AM
How the heck do you get them off of BBS, and onto dry foods? My little Bangers are killing themselves of starvation instead of eating flake or Cyclopeeze. They peck at it, but not enough to fill their bellies. I keep trying to get them onto the dry foods, but they literally starve themselves to death. Each time I try I end up losing a few.

I'm feeding a single feeding per day of BBS, and two feedings per day of finely ground flake and/or Cyclopeeze. I just lost another one today. :(

Zylumn
05-09-2008, 04:21 AM
I have a cardinal that would only eat mysis shrimp and would not touch the pellets or flake in the other feedings. So I started rolling mysis together with the small pellets and flake food just a tiny bit, and over time added more and more to the mysis till now the cardinal goes after anyone of the 3 I put in there. I have started mixing Michitas food recipe with mysis so he will take it. Give the mixing a try once with flake and once with clyclopeeze.
Good Luck
Kevin
I have no experience in raising salt water fry but I hope this helps.

i have crabs
05-09-2008, 04:27 AM
cardinals never eat pellets or flake that ive seen, i weened mine onto frozen baby brine which they would eat almost from day 1 then regular frozen brine and then misis.

EmilyB
05-09-2008, 06:06 AM
I honestly can't remember, I know I was feeding homemade at the time, I bet they grabbed bits of that. Have you tried cyclopeeze?

Chin_Lee
05-09-2008, 06:41 AM
i was unable to wean my last batch off and they eventually starved to death when the bbs didn't cut it anymore for nutrition and growth. I tried cylopeeze as well but to no avail. i heard they will eat cyclopeeze if you don't introduce bbs but never experienced it myself.
As far as cardinals eating pellets, they can learn to eat it but very difficult. I have a femal pajama right now that eats pellets but the male who's usually pregnant does not.

Myka
05-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! :)

I have tried mixing their BBS with dry foods, but they only go after stuff that moves! Although if I pour the fine little bits of Mysis into their tank after feeding the large chunks to the rest of the tank they will eat that. Maybe I'm doomed to feed them frozen then.

Of the adults, the female will pick at flake foods, and both will take the odd pellet, but both would probably starve to death if I didn't feed them frozen food regularly. Stupid fish...

ElGuappo
05-09-2008, 06:34 PM
i have recently tried daphnia from my fw tank in the sw and it went over very well. i dont have cards anymore but i my chromis, perks, jawfish, and angel all ate it the first time and now the bass and wrasse will pick at it. i have only used about 3 times total over the last 2 weeks,

kari
05-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Mine never ate pellets or flakes. Just live or frozen.

jvision
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
I have only had one fish that wouldn't eat pellets - a CBB. I feed New Life Spectrum Thera+A. Clowns, Wrasses, Yellow Tang, Blenny, PJ Cards, Hippo Tang, Chevron Tang, Pygmy angel... all love Thera+A.

Borderjumper
05-12-2008, 05:28 PM
None of my cardinals would eat ANYTHING except frozen mysis.

langdon reefer
05-12-2008, 07:36 PM
MY PJ eats what ever i put in the tank i guess im lucky...lol

Myka
05-13-2008, 04:54 AM
I gave up feed the baby Bangers dry foods. Once they get big enough I'll start feeding them frozen Mysis. I pour the little bits from my feeding cup when I feed the other tank, and they go nuts for it. Maybe I'll blend some up in the blender for them...