PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Sequence Dart Pump

Pan
05-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Okay...when you look at a dart (maybe other sequnce pumps...unsure) you see a shaft with a rubber washer on a shaft between the pump housing? and the motor(think thats right...where the water comes in and goes out :) and the motor) there is quite a bit of saltcreep...is this normal? the shaft "seems" to be turning okay...sounds louder than it did but its not running any hotter than it was... should i be worried...should i look at something? I emailed manufacturer but no reply.

Thanks guys/gals

dstasiuk
05-09-2008, 02:41 AM
My Dart has been running for 10 months on my closed loop and there is no salt creep at all. I would suspect the seal must be leaking a little if there is salt left behind. You might try to see if you can snug the bolts up a little, but make sure you don't overtighten them...

mark
05-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Your getting a little weeping past the seal, should replace.

I found Reeflo Customer Service quite good but with maybe a couple of days between e-mails. Had the same problem (weeping) and had the pump a little under two years and they sent seals. Them just around the 2 year mark the bearings went and they sent a replacement unit, told them it was louder the the original and they sent a second replacement and only asked I send the first replacement back.

btw, the thing on the shaft is a slinger, prevents any water that might leak from going to the motor.

Pan
05-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Your getting a little weeping past the seal, should replace.

I found Reeflo Customer Service quite good but with maybe a couple of days between e-mails. Had the same problem (weeping) and had the pump a little under two years and they sent seals. Them just around the 2 year mark the bearings went and they sent a replacement unit, told them it was louder the the original and they sent a second replacement and only asked I send the first replacement back.

btw, the thing on the shaft is a slinger, prevents any water that might leak from going to the motor.
Yeah i just noticed that slinger is broken s well...just a crack so if you push it it falls over a bit. What was the contact number you used for reeflo?

mark
05-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Yeah i just noticed that slinger is broken s well...just a crack so if you push it it falls over a bit. What was the contact number you used for reeflo?

I tried for days phoning but either got a fast busy or a automated msg says try again. Did everything by e-mail.

Toll Free Phone # 877-378-6798 M-F 8am-5pm (Mountain time)
E-mail: Sales@reeflopumps.com

Interior_Reef
05-09-2008, 04:49 AM
send an email to 'beth@reeflopumps.com' explaining your problem, give the s.n of your pump (if its within the past year) and they will send you replacement seals. it takes about 10 mins to fix. i just did it to 2 of mine. a snapper & a dart.

if its not under warrenty, i still bet they would send em to ya.

untamed
05-09-2008, 06:04 AM
I have three. One of them has done that since day 1. I've been unable to get the impeller off to get in there even if I had the replacement seals

Pan
05-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Yeah i am hoping i will get some help from reeflo...then i will see if i can get the seals on/in :) so your pump has been running about a year like that(untamed)? how much salt buildup do you get/what do you do...just scrape it away?

untamed
05-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Yeah i am hoping i will get some help from reeflo...then i will see if i can get the seals on/in :) so your pump has been running about a year like that(untamed)? how much salt buildup do you get/what do you do...just scrape it away?

Yes, over a year. The heat from the pump dries the leak right out, so I get a pile of brown salty residue that accumulates below the pump right in that area. I get a damp cloth in there once in a while to get rid of it. When I pulled the pumps out for their annual service, I got right in there and scraped/wiped it clean.

Pan
05-09-2008, 06:48 AM
Yes, over a year. The heat from the pump dries the leak right out, so I get a pile of brown salty residue that accumulates below the pump right in that area. I get a damp cloth in there once in a while to get rid of it. When I pulled the pumps out for their annual service, I got right in there and scraped/wiped it clean.
Okay...thats what i did :) well minus the cannual service. What did you do for your annual service...just clean everything out?

michika
05-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Go check out my 28g thread for phone numbers you can contact. Make sure you ask for the silicone grease you need to change out the seal, they don't send it, and its a huge pain to try and find locally if you don't have certain contacts.

bassman
05-09-2008, 02:10 PM
After reading this thread this morning I decided to e-mail them regarding my pump as it has salt creep around the shaft as well.

Someone has already contacted me for my mailing address, great service! (so far, LOL)

mark
05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
It is an easy swap for the seals.

Reeflo says use a Gasgacinch product which I don't have, so posted on RC what to use. Seemed lots just use silicone on the seal and housing don't put anything on the seal face).

untamed
05-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Okay...thats what i did :) well minus the cannual service. What did you do for your annual service...just clean everything out?

Yes...just dismantle the pump as completely as I could and clean it out. Aside from being a bit grungy, there were quite a few small snail shells stuck in the impeller vanes.

But as I mentioned, I could not get the impeller off in order to access the seals...even though I knew one of them needs replacing.

mark
05-09-2008, 03:37 PM
The impeller on mine was way more than hand tight. Just used water pump pliers (protected the impeller with a couple of wraps of electrical tape from the pliers teeth) and a screw driver on the end of the motor shaft.