PDA

View Full Version : Dead Rock okay to use?

Carmen
05-08-2008, 07:10 PM
So, I've read that some people use Dead LR for base rock. Do I have to do anything to it before putting it in the tank? Ie. does it need to be cured or something first? Will it reseed and become live again?
I have a 2 week old 27G that I am waiting for it to cycle and could use a couple extra base pieces and I just thought maybe I could use this dried stuff I have laying around??
Also I need to get some LR rubble for my canister Filter. Could I just use some of this or does it need to be LIVE?
Thanks

ElGuappo
05-08-2008, 07:36 PM
dont take my word for it but im pretty sure its fine to use if you cure first. i also believe that yes it will reseed and become live again.

Reefer Rob
05-08-2008, 07:42 PM
If it's a good porous rock and not the heavy stuff they sell as base rock it will be exactly like the like the live rock when it reseeds.

mark
05-08-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd just give a good rinse.

Given time, it will be alive again.

BC564
05-08-2008, 08:48 PM
yup....use it up..

GreenSpottedPuffer
05-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Im setting my new tank up with 90% dead rock. It was my old LR that I had no way of keeping wet for a few months. Im going to get a HUGE cycle from it but eventually it will be LR again.

Just watch your water parameters after adding it. You should get some kind of spike.

Carmen
05-08-2008, 09:10 PM
So if I just add it my parameters will go up right? Would it be so high that it will kill off live organisms already on the live rock? It's been 2 weeks and my tank has yet to show any type of cycle with 40lbs LR with lots or critters and coraline.
Should I put it in heated buckets with aeration for awhile first?

Reefer Rob
05-08-2008, 09:32 PM
After what they've been through to get to your tank, the critters on "live rock" are tough! Unless your dead rock is real grungy I wouldn't worry about it. You don't have any fish or inverts in yet do you?

Carmen
05-08-2008, 11:07 PM
no fish or inverts yet so I threw it in a bucket of SW with some aeration and it still has some pink/purple stuff. Could that still be alive? I got this stuff used but I believe it's been dry for atleast a year.

Brent F
05-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Just make sure you use some live rock to seed the rest of the rock