PDA

View Full Version : my skimmer is giong crazy

asherah
05-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I haven't changed or added anything to the tank. Last night it started giong crazy and overflowing. It fills with water over and over again. I dump it out and within 10 mins its full of water again.
I unplugged it because it was late but I have no idea why it would do that all of a sudden .
It's a aqua c remora skimmer. It's a fowlr at he moment with only 2 fish in a 30 gallon.
any ideas ? =/

I haven't even had my hand in the tank.. who knows..

asherah

danny zubot
05-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Did anything die?

Did something fall into the tank by accident? Ie: soap or what ever?

Perhaps a clog worked its way loose inside of the skimmer's air hose?

These are all questions that I can think of off the top of my head.

Danny

ElGuappo
05-08-2008, 06:39 PM
did something die is a good question as ti put your skimmer into overdrive. even a hitcher you didnt know was there.

asherah
05-08-2008, 06:48 PM
well i only have the 2 fish and they're still swimming so if something died I didn't know it was there .... :wink:

no soap goes near it so its no that.. could be a clog.. you never know..
Maybe I should take it apart and clean it out ?

asherah

Brent F
05-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Probably the best thing.

Take it apart, clean it and readjust it.

sonymdcdvcd
05-08-2008, 07:21 PM
wat kind of water conditioner do u use?

danny zubot
05-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Water conditioner would definately make the skimmer act up, but you'd know that already, unless you just started to use it.

asherah
05-09-2008, 01:33 AM
I use Aqua plus conditioner.by nutrafin. it says for fresh or saltwater use. It's never caused the skimmer to act before.. :question:

It says it has a stress reducing formula aswell.

banditpowdercoat
05-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Mines going nuts right now too, but then, I am killing a whackload of Cyano. Stinky too. Water change tomorrow me thinks

danny zubot
05-09-2008, 03:07 PM
I use Aqua plus conditioner.by nutrafin. it says for fresh or saltwater use. It's never caused the skimmer to act before.. :question:

When I used to use water conditioner I used Prime. It never made my skimmer act up.

sonymdcdvcd
05-09-2008, 03:32 PM
never use aqua plus on with skimmer. i did that exact same thing when i started my salt water. i have the exact skimmer as you and it happened to me when i used aqua plus. just use prime if you have to use one.

WhoPoopWrasse
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
My daughter has the same skimmer on her 50 gallon and it's been going crazy ever since she got it. I don't understand what it could be either. She doesn't use conditioners, she uses RO/DI water, doesn't over feed. I called J&L where she bought it and he suggested she add carbon to the skimmer box that goes with it in the return section, hasn't helped yet and it's been a week already. The skimmer cup is set at the highest position possible and it fills 3 times a day.
Anyone know anything about this?

asherah
05-11-2008, 01:52 AM
I dont see what carbon in the return would do ? :question:

asherah

WhoPoopWrasse
05-11-2008, 01:54 AM
something about filtering out whatever might be causing the skimmer to go crazy...