PDA

View Full Version : Ctenophore's

ElGuappo
05-08-2008, 06:06 PM
So i want to know what your take is on these i am prefferably looking for personal experiences opposed to publications.

Here is a good link if you dont know what they are.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-03/rs/index.php

I have had some kicking around my tank for a while now and am just wondering what peoples experiences are with them. i have found that my rics dont react well to them . i think the sweepers are having a negitive effect on my corals rics espicially.

i had a different thread going on them and now am looking for answers to wheather or not they sould be taken out. they seem to be fine aside frome the fact that the coral around them is not doing as well as normal. they live on a large piece of toadstool which is fine until they climb onthe top.

Anything?????????????????

Thanks in advance.

banditpowdercoat
05-10-2008, 08:11 AM
If they irritating the corals, then I would certainly remove them. You have a coral tank, right, not a ctenophore tank? LOL But, like all other things that are on the reef. If they are not causing harm...

Drock169
05-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Ctenophores are really cool, I wasnt aware that people had them in their tanks though.

ElGuappo
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
hey if want some let me know i would love get rid rid of a couple. they do look INCREDIBLE under the moonlight when they really come out. i had one as a hitcher and now have about 5 on my toadstool.

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 04:57 AM
i have finally managed to get a poor quality pic of the thing i need a much better camera. anyway you can see its sweeper in the top right of the pic.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/2510753022_15c2b305b4_b.jpg

Myka
05-21-2008, 05:05 AM
I've seen those critters all over the place. I can't remember what I have heard them called, but it wasn't "ctenophore". Ctenophores are jellyfish.

Drock169...you guys have some of these guys (that El Guappo pictured) in the bank of gorgonians, gobies, sponges, etc. Renee knows what these things are called.

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Wow you act fast i was only checking another thread to see what i missed came back to fix it and yours was there after i fixed it. thanks thou.

Check the link in the first post this is excatlly what it is.
i cant get a good pick of the body but it the link shows it to the "T"

Myka
05-21-2008, 05:17 AM
Check the link in the first post this is excatlly what it is.
i cant get a good pick of the body but it the link shows it to the "T"

Maybe...but I'm pretty sure I've heard them called something else (by someone who knows their shizz). It could very well be that she called them ctenophores, and my mind isn't remembering it correctly. :lol:

ElGuappo
05-21-2008, 05:21 AM
Maybe...but I'm pretty sure I've heard them called something else (by someone who knows their shizz). It could very well be that she called them ctenophores, and my mind isn't remembering it correctly. :lol:

No worries.

i just looked better at the article again and if you scroll down its the flatworm type,Coeloplana

ElGuappo
10-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Just a bump with a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJrGYE_Axvk

ElGuappo
07-18-2010, 07:57 PM
My 72 is loaded with these.. kind of neat to see the sweeps floating around.