PDA

View Full Version : bad brown algea Help

banditpowdercoat
05-07-2008, 08:36 PM
OK, keep getting a Algae outbreak in my tank. Lights are new T5's Giesmann bulbs, Actinic+ and Midday. Not sure if its Cyano or not but it disappears pretty much with 24hrs of no lights. Then, back in about a week.

Params are

May 8

Phosphate 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 8.1
SG 1.024

Might be to much food, only 2 fish in there ATM, feeding Frozen Mysis. And I think I am over feeding, but I cant break it into any smaller chunks and be able to hold it with feeding tweezers. So, only feeding once daily instead of twice

thx in advance

banditpowdercoat
05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
All my rock is covered with air bubbles in the algae. Looks really gross. Not sure what to do? Doing weekly water changes, approx 10%

purplepolypeater
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
OK, keep getting a Algae outbreak in my tank. Lights are new T5's Giesmann bulbs, Actinic+ and Midday. Not sure if its Cyano or not but it disappears pretty much with 24hrs of no lights. Then, back in about a week.

Params are

May 8

Phosphate 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 8.1
SG 1.024

Might be to much food, only 2 fish in there ATM, feeding Frozen Mysis. And I think I am over feeding, but I cant break it into any smaller chunks and be able to hold it with feeding tweezers. So, only feeding once daily instead of twice

thx in advance

siphon the algae out and dont feed as much break the food into tiny pieces with knife or spoon do larger water changes i only feed my fish minimally the find other stuff to eat in the tank as well make sure your skimmer is working well do you use ro/di or tap water

Lance
05-08-2008, 11:16 PM
What is your photo period? What is your Mg level? (Less food; less light; and more Mg) worked for me. Took about 2 weeks)

banditpowdercoat
05-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Ya, I think, no I know its from to much food. Just took hold so fast. Lights are on timer, 12 hrs Actinic, 9 midday 6000K bulbs

Lance
05-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Maybe try cuting back the midday lighting an hour, and like you say: "Too much food." You can try raising the Mg level also, depending on what it is at now. Good Luck

banditpowdercoat
05-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Ya, havn't got Mg test kit or anyting yet. Just got a Calcium kit this week. Budjet really limited right now. But Mg is set for my next order