PDA

View Full Version : Is starfire worth it in 1/2"?

lastlight
05-06-2008, 08:51 PM
This is slightly urgent because I'd like to pull the trigger on a tank build later tonight =)

It's a 225 gallon (72x30x24) in 1/2".

I don't think I can get a yes from the wife today if I want the front and 1 side in starfire due to costs but I have the go-ahead for the tank all in regular.

I was talked out of starfire on my first tank which was all 3/8" and things looked great to me to be honest.

What do people with experience with both think? In 1/2" is it really worth it once there is water in the tank and a whole lot of light blasting into it?

Brett

Delphinus
05-06-2008, 09:30 PM
It's a judgment call but honestly I would go with it on 1/2". I'm kind of with you on thinking that 3/8" glass probably doesn't make a difference, but 1/2" is sort of on that threshold. Glass just isn't as clear as acrylic overall, so going with low-iron glass does help compensate some. I went with low-iron on the front and sides of my 280 which is using 1/2" (they tempered the front glass because they didn't want to use 1/2" on a 280g - they would have preferred using a thicker glass if I had not agreed to tempered glass).

Where I really notice the difference is on the sides of the glass. Regular "clear float" is quite green and opaque, low-iron is more grey and although of course still opaque when looking down through it, it is noticeably less opaque.

Whether one notices a difference looking through it normally though, I guess I can't really say. You might have to be pretty observant to really notice a difference but I figure what the heck, a reef tank has our noses pressed up to the glass more so than a FOWLR or FW so you might as well do it if it doesn't become prohibitive on the cost.

Just out of curiousity how much is the upgrade? When I had my tank built it wasn't really THAT much of an increase, but this is a couple years ago now, maybe it's gotten more expensive?

lastlight
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Well I haven't heard how much extra the starfire will be just yet. I'm going to see the builder tonight and *could* get the ball rolling on the original quote. If I want more cash the wife is making me wait until August sometime.

The on-end colour is def noticeable I agree. It's just really tempting to get the build started tho!

Delphinus
05-06-2008, 09:43 PM
August is a very long time to wait. :lol:

I dunno, I guess there are plenty of reef tank out there that don't have low-iron glass and you don't really hear all that often "Man! This tank sucks because it has regular glass instead of Starphire!!" .. so it's probably OK.

Having said that I'd still check into the cost. If it was say a difference of $100 for example, and if you had some means to make up for that (I dunno, ride your bike to work for a month instead of drive? Don't go out for dinner or lunches for a couple weeks if you do that sort of thing? Etc.? Etc.?)... but otherwise, I don't generally condone going against the wishes of SheWhoMustBeObeyed.. :lol: (Having said that, I find it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. It's always a fine line!!) :lol:

lastlight
05-06-2008, 09:48 PM
That's exactly my thinking man.

If it's like $100 or even $200 I am prepared to beg. If not then I'm going ahead. Even tho I can't get anything else till after August at least I can stare at the tank!

lastlight
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Well that wasn't the world's largest window for feedback. I'm leaving work...

My finger is ITCHY. Either way the ball rolls tonight!

Impulsively,

Me

Brent F
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
What about starfire for the front pannel only?

untamed
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I suspect that the reason no one ever notices is that you only realize the visual difference when you are given a comparison. When I had the chance to examine a tank that was 1/2 starfire and 1/2 normal I thought the difference was substantial. (The glass on that tank was thicker than 1/2")

Another way to put it..... would be to say that it is like looking at the world through green sunglasses. When you first put them on, everything looks green....after a while, you don't notice anymore but the glasses are still filtering out non-green light. Your brain just tries to compensate.

mark
05-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Picked Starfire for my 145g (front panels 3/8") mainly because is an room divider so didn't want to be seeing green if looking through both panes.

Where it was most noticeable was after waiting months and months for BVA to complete my tank was when I showed up to find they made the tank from regular glass. Just looking through the green monolith, it was enough to make me comfortable for the extra cost for Starfire (just had to wait a few more months for the tank I originally ordered to be completed).

wickedfrags
05-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Starphire Glass from PPG is worth every penny. Plan on approximately 30% more costs +/-.

Considering that the tank is not that expensive in the grand scheme of things (live rock, lights, skimmer, reactors), I would highly recommend it. I have owned both and would never go back to regular glass.

Myka
05-07-2008, 12:59 AM
I'd put thicker than 1/2" glass on that!!

bassman
05-07-2008, 01:19 AM
I'd put thicker than 1/2" glass on that!!

Why is that? I have a 230 right now made from 1/2"

lastlight
05-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Too late. I paid my deposit and should have the tank in 2 or 3 weeks.

We talked it over and with black siicone the ends look black anyways so looking on-end is a moot point. Not once with my 3/8" tank did I think it looked green.

Side by side with a starfire tank then yeah I'm sure the difference would be noticeable when looking in.

Before I made my mind up completely tho this thought crossed my mind. There is next to nobody lighting there tank with lights that mimick the sun. Everything is pretty blue to begin with. So I think after all is said and done the green tint isn't too great a concern for me.

Plus since this was all I could budget for right now (I was quoted about $500 ballpark more for the front and an end in starfire) I need to make myself feel better.

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully the end result won't dissapoint!

Myka
05-07-2008, 01:36 AM
The original question...I'm not a fan of Starfire. Hey, if it was the same price, then why not? But honestly, the color of the glass often helps your lighting look better. :lol:

Why is that? I have a 230 right now made from 1/2"

I've seen tanks that size with cracked bottoms...that's all...no biggie.

wickedfrags
05-07-2008, 01:46 AM
My 270 is 12mm starphire. Less colour (green) in the glass also makes your tank look brighter as the glass absorbs less light, and your corals look more true. That being said - the equipment is not as important as the quality of the lifestock you put in it IMO.

Sebae again
05-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Wondering why it takes so long to get a tank built. Is this something that is done when there is nothing else to do? ,that busy,or to make the customer feel like they are getting their moneys worth?

mark
05-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Wondering why it takes so long to get a tank built. Is this something that is done when there is nothing else to do? ,that busy,or to make the customer feel like they are getting their moneys worth?

My case, guy running the show was just wasn't able to deliver though promised would be "ready next next" for months. Mis-management and had a few personal problems going on.

lastlight
05-07-2008, 02:33 AM
The bottom is 5/8" for anyone interested.

I was told 2 weeks before it can be assembled because the 5/8" is being ordered in. The rest will be ground/polished and ready to go for that day. Then a couple days to sit and cure before I pick it up.

About the starfire tho...obviously if I had the money I'd have gone with the starfire. But I really wanted to get the tank now to stare at until August and to putter away with the stand till then. That and I really wanted the tank in my livingroom quickly so my wife can't pull the plug later =)

Delphinus
05-07-2008, 04:08 AM
I don't think you'll honestly agonize over not having low-iron once it's up and running. I wouldn't sweat it at all. It's a "nice to have" but I don't think it's worth being a deal breaker. I would consider things like having the right overflow for what you want (e.g, two holes versus one if you want a Herbie overflow - coast to coast versus corner, internal versus external, etc.), the size and shape of the tank, and the type of bracing to be far more important considerations. And May versus August ... that too is no-brainer.

Also, I think water clarity has a bigger contribution to how clean a tank will look.
Glass just gets dirty and needs to be cleaned.

Oh, and I think low-iron glass scratches easier.

Hope that makes you feel a little better. :lol:

lastlight
05-07-2008, 04:19 AM
Tony you are the MAN.

I have been agonizing already haha.

Other than the glass type I'm getting exactly what I want.

The overflow will be external and centered on the back. A nice 2 foot wide opening with 2x1.5" drains and 2x1" returns in it's bottom.

Eurobracing will have a 1" hole 8" from each back corner to accommodate 2 wavysea plusses.

What I'm most stoked about tho is that bevelled finish on all exposed edges. My 400 gallon was huge and ugly in comparison. The inner black plexi was also warped a bit and made viewing through the front quite distorted. I'm going with black painted back this time.

As I write this i'm playing with cardboard pretend sumps to see what fits under this stand. TOTAL loser.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-07-2008, 05:17 AM
As I write this i'm playing with cardboard pretend sumps to see what fits under this stand. TOTAL loser.

I genuinely lol'd at that one. But didn't you hear? Fish geeks are the new black.