PDA

View Full Version : Filter Socks. Good, yet Evil

banditpowdercoat
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Well, this afternoon, once the lights came on, I came in from the shop to feed my babies.. OWhats this? only one Clown??? No, where is he? lift rocks, nope, not stuck. He was there @ 1am when I came home. Check in overflow?? Nope. Couldnt get in there, theres egg crate over it, only a couple small holes in the back.....remove one sump drain.. NOO, hes in the filter sock..dead :cry: If there was no filter sock, he would have just landed in the baffle and been in the sump. The mix of crud and stress must have been to much. Filter sock was also kinked. So, he was cramped in there. Maybe if the sock was full open, he might have had room to swim a bit and relax/survive??

Just kinda bummed right now. So is my other clown. Didnt want to eat, just swimming in circles looking for his partner

untamed
05-06-2008, 08:34 PM
That's sad. Have you figured out how he managed to get in there?

banditpowdercoat
05-06-2008, 08:40 PM
My sump return comes up my overflow. I cut the eggcrate arund the Lock-line. Guess there was enough room fro him. Musta flopped on the eggcrate, then flopped around till he flipped in. I now have eggcrate vertically all around the overflow as well as on top. Goes all the way up to the glass top. Got to be Houdini to get in there now

mark
05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
That's too bad, but I've had clowns in my socks and they'll survive.

It's the peppermint shrimp that really freak me out when I shake the sock out in the sink.

bv_reefer
05-07-2008, 06:56 AM
mine would have to literally jump out of the tank and somehow land in the sump, first theres the fish screen then the strainer in the overflow. but ya i can see how a fish could die in there, even at there cleanest, filter socks are always all bubbly and scummy, sorry for the loss, really sucks. my johanni kicked it today after she layed her eggs :evil: