PDA

View Full Version : Need advice...

Aquattro
03-13-2003, 03:48 AM
I have a bucket of about 30 pounds of miricle mud that needs to be cleaned. Has anyone got any good ideas on how to clean this stuff without it washing away, or should I wash it at all?

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 04:29 AM
The way I see it you have two choices, either let fresh water flow SLOWLY through and over flow the bucket or try rinsing it in really small batches through a bbs net....... You could find one of those plastic coffee filter things that replace the paper filters I read that the openings are tiny, measured in microns... or just use a paper coffee filter... so I guess you have 4 choices from what I can figure.

christyf5
03-13-2003, 04:29 AM
Needs to be cleaned how??
I would suggest rinsing it in a large garbage can. Put sand in, put water in, stir, let settle a bit, then pour out. Do this a couple of times. You don't need a ton of water (ie. massive salt usage, or you could use freshwater) but you basically just want to dilute any grossness that is in there, right?

Christy :)

Aquattro
03-13-2003, 05:14 AM
Right. It came from a sump that was shut down some time ago, and I think it needs to be cleaned. It also needs to be sold, but we'll work on that after cleaning :-)

ranz
03-13-2003, 06:50 AM
I would say your damed if you do and damed if you dont, I sugest a closed system(bucket and filter) and use oh natural filter, Diatom powder filter.

Im just guessing but I think the worst thing that would happen is that the mud would plug the filter pad, and if thats the case us a higher bucket and siphon from a higher point, this might allow the heavier sediment to fall and impurites to be filtered....

Maybe maybe not, anyways good luck!

Ranzreef

MitchM
03-13-2003, 01:16 PM
I would say leave it and sell it as is. I have some too, that's been sitting in an old tank of mine that I'm starting up again, and I plan on adding new water and letting it cycle on it's own. Any junk in there would just be food for bacteria, which is a good thing.
I doubt whether you could ever effectively "clean" mud.

Just call it "uncured".

Mitch :)

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Yeah if it is just sitting sell it as is or use it as is in a new tank....30 pounds is alot, any idea what you are going to ask for it? and will you sell smaller quantities?

Aquattro
03-13-2003, 04:41 PM
30 pounds is alot, any idea what you are going to ask for it? and will you sell smaller quantities?

nope, no idea at all. I got it as part of a tank setup I just picked up. I'd take offers and smaller amounts would be fine as long as there is a minimum..don't want to sell it by the cup :P When I get a better idea, I'll post it in the right forum.

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Sounds good, if it is Miracle mud it is worth a fortune you may be able to retire off it, If it is mineral mud.... keep buying lotto tickets.

Aquattro
03-13-2003, 06:49 PM
No, it's the real Miracle Mud from Ecosystems. It was originally ~$350, so I doubt I'll retire anytime soon. Some lucky soul could certainly get a deal on it if they wanted a bucket of mud.

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Well I'm definitly interested in some of it.

Aquattro
03-13-2003, 07:09 PM
coming over for the tour? Bring a container :P

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 07:21 PM
DOH... Your in Victoria.... well maybe have to see

Aquattro
03-13-2003, 08:53 PM
DOH... Your in Victoria.... well maybe have to see
If not, I come over fairly frequently.

BCOrchidGuy
03-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Okay well we can work out something I'm sure, even if it gets shipped by Greyhound.... PCL