PDA

View Full Version : PVC Glue

Powertec
05-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Is there anything wrong with using the grey pvc cement as opposed to the clear glue?

Thanks

Pan
05-05-2008, 04:28 AM
Is there anything wrong with using the grey pvc cement as opposed to the clear glue?

Thanks
Clear makes you look like a professional :)

banditpowdercoat
05-05-2008, 04:36 AM
dam,n, I look like a hack HAHAHA. I used grey. And Purple PVC primer. Got a rainbow in my plumbing hahaha

untamed
05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
You can get the clear cleaner as well.

brizzo
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
From what I've encountered, grey is a medium body cement (not always true according to google), and clear is a light body cement.

Interesting thing though, when going and looking on the shelf here @ work, all the grey cement we have is single stage for schedule 40 or 80 fittings and not for pressure (ie sewer fittings). All the clear is 2-stage (primer/cement) recommended for schedule 20 or 40 fittings.

Now I'm curious and will inquire to one of our suppliers.

Pan
05-05-2008, 11:33 PM
From what I've encountered, grey is a medium body cement (not always true according to google), and clear is a light body cement.

Interesting thing though, when going and looking on the shelf here @ work, all the grey cement we have is single stage for schedule 40 or 80 fittings and not for pressure (ie sewer fittings). All the clear is 2-stage (primer/cement) recommended for schedule 20 or 40 fittings.

Now I'm curious and will inquire to one of our suppliers.
There is a write up on oateys website...
http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroup/1/Regular+Cements+and+Primers.html

There are all kinds of cements :)
Higher temp rating/pipe diameter is the biggest difference for the pvc cements. You'll be fine :)
up to 2 inch, with any pvc cement..aside from say the orange (cpvc) or the abs transition gunk.