PDA

View Full Version : Sump Design

Kronk
05-05-2008, 02:02 AM
I noticed that most if not all sump designs have the refugium after the skimmer. Is there any reason for this?

Thanks,
Ken

dstasiuk
05-05-2008, 05:28 AM
My sump has the return area in the middle w/skimmer on one side and refugium on the other side. The fuge has a deep sand bed and macroalgae. It also has a healthy pod population. The refugium flowing straight into the return area allows the poor unsuspecting critters to make their way unmolested (by a skimmer) into the main tank where they can more easily become dinner...

Kronk
05-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Awesome that was the way i was designing mine, with two drains from the tank one into the fuge and one into the skimmer chamber. Any chance you have pics ?

dstasiuk
05-05-2008, 05:56 AM
I don't have any pictures of mine, but it is similar to the model G on this page:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

I would recommend a detailed read of his info - it's very detailed and an excellent source for info on many different kinds of sumps, as well as some construction details.

You are welcome to stop by and see mine in action...

JOEL
05-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Awesome that was the way i was designing mine, with two drains from the tank one into the fuge and one into the skimmer chamber. Any chance you have pics ?

You can also have the two drains going to the skimmer chamber and tee off the one pipe
add a valve so you can control the flow throw the fuge and the rest will go in the skinner
chamber.

Myka
05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
The refugium flowing straight into the return area allows the poor unsuspecting critters to make their way unmolested (by a skimmer) into the main tank where they can more easily become dinner...

:lol: Yep, that's why!