PDA

View Full Version : Kent Salt Parameters

Oscar
05-04-2008, 02:39 PM
I have had my tank running for just 4 weeks now. Just LR and LS with two hermit crabs so far. My base testing kit is API that I use for testing ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

I was hoping to add some corals soon so I invested in some additional Elos tests for Ca, Mg and alkalinity. My initial test for Ca was higher than anticipated and Mg lower than the target levels.

I did some more reading this weekend and realized both my temperature and salinity were lower than they should be. My tank temp has been 78 to 80F and salinity around 33ppt.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```
So I mixed up a new batch of Kent Salt to measure as a baseline.

Temp: 80F
Salinity: 1.026 = 37ppt

ph: 7.8 (API)
Alk: 9 dhk (Elos)
Mg: 1125 (Elos)
Ca: 650 (Elos)

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `
I anticipated that Kent would be high in Calcium, but this high?

Is the Elos test kit suspect?

Thanks in adance.

purplepolypeater
05-04-2008, 03:21 PM
are you using ro/Di or tap water your tap water may be high in calcium if so you should check the other chemical levels of your water like silicates phosphates nitrates

Oscar
05-04-2008, 03:34 PM
are you using ro/Di or tap water your tap water may be high in calcium if so you should check the other chemical levels of your water like silicates phosphates nitrates

Using bottled RO. Phosphates: 0, Nitrates: 0, Nitrite: 0

But I have not checked the RO for calcium which is a good idea.

Johnny Reefer
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38670

HTH,

Myka
05-04-2008, 09:47 PM
As far as temperature goes, I keep my reef at 77-78. Your tank is not too cool. Although I do agree with you on the higher salinity. :)

I just heard back from Kent and they do their lab testing at 1.020-1.023 and get Ca = 480, Alk = 9.0 dkH, Mg = 1280ppm.

That calcium level is going to go up even further when you're using higher salinity. One of the reasons I don't like, and won't use Kent salt.

Oscar
05-04-2008, 11:57 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38670

HTH,

Thanks for that link Johnny.