PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question re:lights and timers

Carmen
05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I am new to the SW thing and learning as I go and I am wondering how important is it to have the lights set up so they have a timer with the dusk/dawn effect? I am considering a T5HO fixture and the 4 lamp has only 1 cord. So if it is quite important I will just buy 2 of the 2 lamp fixtures to create the dusk/dawn effect.
Thanks

Aquattro
05-03-2008, 10:48 PM
It's not important at all, it just looks cool. Your tank inhabitants won't care.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-03-2008, 11:58 PM
What he said. But having your lights on a timer IS a great idea, apart from the "dusk/dawn" consideration. Just one less thing to worry about doing manually :)

msteele
05-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Depending on the type of fish you have, if you want to promote spawning then the dusk / dawn effect is recommended. But otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Carmen
05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys, I've decided to go with 4 lamp T5HO with only 1 cord on a timer but no dusk/dawn effect obviously. Hope I don't regret it but it just seemd simpler than having 2 fixtures on the tank.
Carmen

Tom R
05-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I am sure that their is no real effect on the fish with either of the setups. The lose is yours and yours alone. I think that the dawn and dust look is one of my most favorite looks of my tanks. However I am the only one to see it as I very seldom have visitors to my tanks when the dawn and dust lighting is on. Our light cycles are usually set to relate to our schedules and not the actual times of the day and because we are usually at work all day we shift the high light period of our cycle from noon to 5:00 Pm thus fitting our schedules rather than natures. Our fish show no ill effects to the switch.

Tom R