PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 240/2

dsaundry
05-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Anybody ever used this skimmer ....Good?? or Overpriced???

fkshiu
05-03-2008, 09:26 PM
That's Tunze's older line of skimmers. I use a 240/3 and it skims just fine. The approach is completely different than the latest tendency to skim the snot out of your aquarium.

It's venturi design is small, compact and efficient. I wouldn't put it into a full out high-end SPS system, but it will do fine with anything else.

I used to run a mesh-modded ER 6-2 which is a little bit undersized for my system. The 240/3 pulls out just as much stuff while using less electricity, being a bit quieter and taking up a lot less space. The ER also used to go nuts and overflow after the meshmod whenever I fed anything oily like mysis, which got really annoying. The Tunze simply stops foaming for a few hours.

If you're looking at a new Tunze skimmer, their 9010, 9015, 9020 line is probably a better choice.

dsaundry
05-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks, I have been trying to figure out which way to go for a new skimmer. The Tunze was on sale online but I have decided to go look around a bit still. Would love a Bubble King but thats a little too far out of my price range now...Don't want anything too cheap but something that still gives you good bang for the buck....Maybe I should start a new thread and see who likes what.....:biggrin:

Lance
05-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I've got the 9010, and its great. Although, not the most powerful skimmer, it is extremely user-proof. Once you've got it adjusted, just forget about it and let it do its thing. Very much so Plug-and-Play.

Tom R
05-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Thanks, I have been trying to figure out which way to go for a new skimmer. The Tunze was on sale online but I have decided to go look around a bit still. Would love a Bubble King but thats a little too far out of my price range now...Don't want anything too cheap but something that still gives you good bang for the buck....Maybe I should start a new thread and see who likes what.....:biggrin:

I would look at an ASM. For the price they are excellent value. Available at OA and HR. I also saw some excellent deals on Euroreef in J&L clearance section.

Tom R

dsaundry
05-04-2008, 02:32 AM
Thanks for all the great advise...will probably head over to some of the Lfs's and check a few out..

Tom R
05-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Look into these

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ps-errs180

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ps-errc080

Tom R

dsaundry
05-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks Tom....appreciate the advise....:biggrin:

will try to convince the wife that we have to go to the Lfs today.:lol: